• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Sturmey Archer Carburetor

Alan Williams

Morning
I am involved with the local Museum here in Waimate South Canterbury New Zealand, They have a number of vintage mowers rotary hoes etc, that I would like to get running.
First up I am attempting the Ransome Sims and Jefferies 30 inch Mark XI number AD1032. Fitted with a Sturmey Archer Engine ?, Ignition is a wico series A base mounted magneto (chain driven ??) I have spark, but cant seem to get fuel to cylinder, any help advice will be greatly appreciated
The carby is the same as that fitted to Regs mower Smok Stak post 5-19-2008

Attachments

Weezer

Re: Sturmey Archer Carburator

Have seen Sturmey Archer made bicycle parts here, never knew they made engines.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working

Sturmey Archer made moped motors as well... but they were not common to the USA...

DTurner

Can you do a vacuum test on it , meaning from the air intake to carburetor,the manifold to valve? That tells me so much as to the health of an engine . Block off air to engine and put cylinder top dead center so valves are closed and watch the gage if it bleeds down rapidly. If it holds then it should siphon fuel ⛽ ,then the carburetor has a restriction for example in the fuel system . Or a mating surface is leaking .
I also assume it has compression.
Good luck

DTurner

Have seen Sturmey Archer made bicycle parts here, never knew they made engines.
I got a three speed gear hub on my 1953 French automoto bicycle , works great. Now that I understand them . Don’t want to crush the cashews if it disengagement. Ouch !
They first came out with it in 1905 ❓
This is a first for me that they made engines also . Did they make motorcycles ?

grub54891

I have a Schwinn and a Raleigh Supreme that I'm restoring. Both have the sturmy archer hubs, wich I rebuilt. Nice setups, but never seen a carb by them.