• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Sumter 12 lead

Reddog15

Registered
Hello,
I have a FBM 1.5 headless. The engine is running fine on the magneto but the ignition lead has seen better days. Is changing the wire an easy task or is it better left to the pros?

stufforbud

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/17/2019
There's no magic to that. Replace it with solid core wire if you can find some, but strand wire will also work. Don't make it any longer than you need to to run it properly.

Reddog15

Registered
There's no magic to that. Replace it with solid core wire if you can find some, but strand wire will also work. Don't make it any longer than you need to to run it properly.
Thanks! Do I take the screws off on the back? I don't want to mess anything up. The wire comes our of the case on the top.

cobbadog

Registered
I've used multi-strand copper wire HT leads for all the tractors and hit n miss engines, even on the old mowers too and have not had any problems.
One thing that you do NOT want to use is a carbon core HT lead.