• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Superior Engine manufacture histry

Walt Roys

In Memory OF
Last Subscription Date
05/02/2013
I realize there are no manufacture records which deal with ser
#s and individual engines. Can someone give a general overview of the history of the Superior engine comp?
I would sure appreciate any input you guys have.
Thanks in advance,
Walt

Walt Roys

In Memory OF
Last Subscription Date
05/02/2013
Ok,maybe I didn't ask the question right. I have done some reading on the web about Superior engines, but I have some concerns about the accuracy of the information. Some of the stuff I found says production started about 1926. I thought it might have been sooner. I know no better place than the STAK to get accurate info about oil field machinery. Somebody has that info and I would sure like to know from the people that know.
Thanks
Walt

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
From "Cooper Industries 1833-1983" by David N. Keller.
Patrick J Shouvlin opened a machine shop in Springfield, Ohio in 1889. By the early 1890s it became The Superior Gas Engine Company. Shouvlin sold his first gas engine to a company in Findlay, Ohio which later became the Ohio Oil Company and eventually Marathon Oil.
Shouvlin made National Supply Company - formed in 1894 - exclusive agents for Superior engines. By it's 25th anniversary Superior was selling standard engines from 20 to 100 hp, tank cooled and open jacket engines from 2.5 to 15 hp. In 1920 a semidiesel engine was added. In 1923 Superior purchased Otto Engine Works. About 1926 it became the Superior Engine Company. In 1928 National Supply Company acquired Superior as the Superior Engine Division.
National Supply sold the Diesel Division to White Motor Company. Eventually all were acquired by Cooper Industries.

Bob
WB8NQW

Walt Roys

In Memory OF
Last Subscription Date
05/02/2013
Thanks Bob, that is exactly what I needed for my info book on Superior Engines.
Walt

sswcharlie

Registered
Hi

Did Walt Roys get the book published on Superior Gas Engines ?

Looking for info on the marine engine installed in the Ingalls 4-S diesel locomotive of 1946.
Thanks
Charles Harris