• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Superior Questions

oldironlindy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2016
I picked up a Superior at a sale yesterday. I think it is a 35 hp but I would like to confirm that it looks like it has a 14.5" bore and 20" stroke. Does that sound correct? Also is there a way to date these engines? It looks like all the parts are there. Ever since visiting Coolsprings and talking with Paul Harvey I have wanted one of these engines. I may change my mind after working on it but right now I am pretty excited about it.

Attachments

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
Re: Superior questions

The 1917 National Supply Catalog lists the 35hp 4 cycle Superior engine having a bore of 14.5 inches and a stroke of 20 inches.

Bob
WB8NQW

Keith Kinney

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019

Next weekend, June 8-19, 2018, in Evansville, Indiana at the SIAM Classic Iron Show there will be 6 or more Superior Oil Field engines on display and running. It would be a good opportunity to learn all about them.
I hope to have my 15 & 25 HP engines there. We are featuring Oil Field Engines.
Keith

Attachments

Greg Mosley

Registered

Greetings OldIronLindy, Any data on Superior Engines is relatively scarce. National Supply was their sole vendor many years. I would recommend purchasing an early National Supply Catalog. They are about 750 pages give or take. You may scare one up by placing a Want Ad on EnginAds. As far as dating an engine it is hard to do as few records exist. Query posts by Mike Murphy at this site. He has an article or two concerning these engines. Very educational to say the least. Enuf Said

oldironlindy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2016

Next weekend, June 8-19, 2018, in Evansville, Indiana at the SIAM Classic Iron Show there will be 6 or more Superior Oil Field engines on display and running. It would be a good opportunity to learn all about them.
I hope to have my 15 & 25 HP engines there. We are featuring Oil Field Engines.
Keith
I would love to make it to Evansville some day but I will not be able to make it this year.