• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Superior Type CA fetching!

con-rad

Registered
Picked this engine up from an "undisclosed location" to bring to the Zagray Farm Museum in CT for our growing engine building. I haven't taken photos, but here is a video I put together of the haul, pick, and chat afterwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgef29bNG2s&t=550s

I have a couple questions:

-There is a 4-bolt bracket below the governor housing. what went there?
-On the tag, it is a 11x14 cylinder and rated at 150 and 300 RPM, but does not list HP. Seller told me it was 25HP, but that seems a little low?
-There is an odd piece of pipe on the inside of the flywheel rim (can be seen in video). Any idea what that was for?
-There is a huge vee pulley on the PTO side. It would probably take a 2" or 2.25" wide belt. Seems odd to see a V-belt on an engine like this, but it looks very original. Anyone know what it might have been for?

The engine is a runner and after I check it over a bit, I might have it running before it gets too cold!

connor

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
I'm sorry but I do not see the 4 hole bracket below the governor in the video. One of the cover plates on top of the side shaft near the governor is for the cam and the air start valve.
Where you have a 6 or 8 bolt plate below the governor my Type C has a plate with a brass drain valve to drain oil from the side shaft housing. The engine manual shows a 4 bolt plate.

Bob
WB8NQW

Luke Wagner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Conner,

That is a good running engine. It is a 25 hp. I was a previous owner of that engine. The 4 bolt flange below the mag is where a water pump was bolted fast which should have come with the engine. The engine was originally in a NY water pumping station. Good luck!

Luke

con-rad

Registered
Luke, that's great that I found a previous owner! I have the water pump, I thought it bolted onto the end of the sideshaft housing, near the cylinder, where that wooden block off plate was installed.

Did you make the skid? whoever did it did an amazing job.

Can you tell me more about the pumping station? was it pumping city water or something oilfield related? Whatever happened to the pump?

connor

---------- Post added at 05:35:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33:05 PM ----------

For clarity, the 4-bolt bracket i'm talking about is seen in the video at 7:40. It is below the governor, below the 8-bolt cover plate.

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
That 4 bolt plate is not shown on any illustration in the National Supply Catalog or in the parts diagram section of the Superior engine manual. Perhaps it was added after purchase.

Bob
WB8NQW

con-rad

Registered
Interesting. thanks for the info Bob!

My one guess is that bracket, plus the weird pipe on the inside flywheel rim, was a spring loaded overspeed trip. I doubt that's the case, when i'm at the farm this weekend i'll take some photos of it.

Luke, do you know whatever happened the the pump that this engine ran? I'd love to re-unite the two!

connor

con-rad

Registered
Took some more photos of the tube and bracket today. I'm sure that it's an overspeed trip, but missing the shut off mechanism. The tube contains a round tipped peg that comes through the flywheel rim. The bracket it mounted on the engine base and definitely looks factory. I imagine that something mounted on the bracket that killed spark if the peg was slung out of the flywheel rim due to excessive speed, similar to the one on the Snow engine in Coolspring.

Attachments

con-rad

Registered
Also I tried to work on the original water pump yesterday. Several handfuls of rust flakes and dust poured out of the water pump housing and i couldn't get the cover off. So, i put it in a big tupperware tote and filled it to the top with waste oil and waste diesel. I'll come back in a couple months and try again!

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
I think that you will find that the governor is not very functional running on propane. The throttle valve stem to valve body fit lets enough gas through that the best speed control is the manual gas cock. On natural gas the governor will control the engine much better. The BTU content of propane is higher than natural gas. I had limited improvement by wrapping tape around both of the valve stem tapered parts to cut down the gas flow past the valve even when it should be closed. I have mine now on natural gas.
Good luck.

Bob
WB8NQW

con-rad

Registered
Thanks for the input Bob! I still think that the governor isn't operational, I don't remember seeing the governor arm even trying to move. I'm thinking it may have been internally bypassed and held wide open to run solely off the gas cock for show purposes. We'll find out soon, weather permitting!

connor