T.S. & A.J. Kirkwood planer HELP

MFaris

I've posted this same question on every machinist forum on the internet and have had zero luck.... Do any other TS & AJ Kirkwood planers exist? If so I could use some pictures and measurements. About all I know is it was built between 1875-85 and it's big. I'm also curious if anyone has seen a similar table on any other planers?

I bought this planer last year and it's currently in storage at a friends place,, my goal is to convert it back to lineshaft operation in as original a manner as possible.

The first three pictures are of it just prior to me buying it, and the last two are of it in storage.

Bill Hazzard

I posted a reply to your question on Practical Machinist. T.S. & A.J. Kirkwood is not the manufacturer, they were machinery dealers. The company had that name from 1875 to 1885. I would suggest going through Kenneth Cope's book on planers, you might get lucky. It is a cool planer though.

MFaris

Thanks for the replies. I've got a copy of Cope's book on order now.

Considering I plastered the Web with pictures of the Kirkwood and not a single person commented on its similarity to any other planer mfg, I think I may be out of luck finding a living example to copy parts from. But here's hoping I'm wrong about that!

Bill Hazzard

The platen is very unique so maybe a manufacturer will turn up. You should post the pictures to Practical Machinist and maybe someone there will know what it is.

MFaris

Hi Bill,

There are a couple little details about this machine that are very unique compared to other planers I've seen, I think that's either a really good or really bad thing for identifying it :shrug:... I posted the pictures on Practical Machinist a couple days ago.