• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

T.W. Phillips halfbreed Help

Chevy5713

Registered
Hey everyone I’m new to oilfield engines, I’m looking for all the information I can get on this engine, I’m looking to restore this beauty

Attachments

Chevy5713

Registered
Worthy project- and it looks like you already have a helper lined up! I am sure we will be happy to help with some specific questions.
Bill Klein
Thanks well one question in X DC
Worthy project- and it looks like you already have a helper lined up! I am sure we will be happy to help with some specific questions.
Bill Klein
Hi Mr. Klein thanks for your response, I know I’m missing a number of parts for my TW Phillips engine, I’m looking for advice on the best way to tackle this project. I know I need a connecting rod. Main bearing caps. and another cylinder or I need to repair the one on it if I can’t locate a replacement. And is there anything else I’m missing I know the photos are not the best and my apologies for that.

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Thanks well one question in X DC

Hi Mr. Klein thanks for your response, I know I’m missing a number of parts for my TW Phillips engine, I’m looking for advice on the best way to tackle this project. I know I need a connecting rod. Main bearing caps. and another cylinder or I need to repair the one on it if I can’t locate a replacement. And is there anything else I’m missing I know the photos are not the best and my apologies for that.
Being that it is a halfbreed the con rod will need to be determined by dimensions as will the main caps. Same for the crosshead rails. Get it home & take some more pics. Those cylinders are hard to find so if the only major cylinder damage is the broken out top of the outer shell it may be a candidate for a repair. Bill Klein

Tremel

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/28/2016
Hey everyone I’m new to oilfield engines, I’m looking for all the information I can get on this engine, I’m looking to restore this beauty
As Bill stated, those cylinders are hard to find. May be worth saving if you can weld cast. It's not impossible.

Need to ID that steam bedplate and then find a similar to either make the parts or hunt them down. Cross head slide supports are easy to make patterns and reproduce. Same with rear bearing caps, and then simply pour new babbit.

Steam connecting rods are somewhat simple. They can be reproduced, but also there seems to still be some parts laying around and show up on E-Bay. Need to measure you crank size and knuckle size and start with trying to find the rod bearings first. If not, they can be made.

Chevy5713

Registered
As Bill stated, those cylinders are hard to find. May be worth saving if you can weld cast. It's not impossible.

Need to ID that steam bedplate and then find a similar to either make the parts or hunt them down. Cross head slide supports are easy to make patterns and reproduce. Same with rear bearing caps, and then simply pour new babbit.

Steam connecting rods are somewhat simple. They can be reproduced, but also there seems to still be some parts laying around and show up on E-Bay. Need to measure you crank size and knuckle size and start with trying to find the rod bearings first. If not, they can be made.
A local guy that has a huge collection of oilfield engines told me that the bed on mine is actually made by TWPhillips As well he said there were 16 made with beds,and he has 6 of them he wasn’t very helpful unfortunately he asked me if I would be willing to sell it and when I said that wasn’t the plan at this point he said he had to get back to work and if I decide to sell it call him. Also I have welded a lot of cast I was hoping I could find a good cylinder or a junk one that I could use to graft a piece from. Also thanks for responding I really appreciate the help

Last edited:

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
The bed plate may have been made by TWP but it was for steam not internal combustion. The rearward facing main bearings are a dead giveaway-
not an issue for steam but very weak for internal combustion. Bill Klein