• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Tecumseh

Tony G

Registered
I have a question on tecumseh engines and these are not old but I'm thinking someone knows the answer. I have two lawnmowers with Tecumseh engines and no matter what I do I cannot get them to start using the primer bulb. But if I open the air filter, dump a little gas in they start right up and run great. I have cleaned the carbs, boughta rebuild kit for one but I still have the same problem. Won't start with priming but starts and runs fine when I put gas in the air filter. Any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Frank Y

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2017
Sounds like your primer bulb is the problem. that or the tube going to the carb. The tube has a tendency to dry out from the heat and crack or break off.

Frank Y

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
some of these carbs have a piece of cotton in the main pick up lead tower, within the carb, as a filter. Remove it. also, check the main jet, and or fuel bowl nut - these have 2 spots where gas must pass thru, in order to get into the engine - one, the lower inlet is about .040, the other near the upper threads, about .010 they must both be open. Ditto on the bad bulb,tube combo. Try blowing on the tube - gas should puff out of the carb inlet. Also - check for proper float position - seam on float parallel to the bowl flange, when carb held upside down. If bowl setting too low, engine will starve. :eek:
Andrew

Tony G

Registered
Thanks for the replies, I was not aware of the cotton filter. These lawnmowers have the primer bulbs right on the carb not a primer bulb and tube like you see on snowblower engines. I think when you prime these it puts pressure in the bowl forcing gas up the main jet. Primimg does not seem to actually move gas in the carb. Is that right?