• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

TFD and THD Magneto

Zira

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Re: tfd and thd magneto

But, as you probably know, they are not interchangeable since the engines have different firing order. I have had single cylinder Wisconsin with modified 2 cylinder magnetos on them "farm engineered"

---------- Post added at 06:22:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20:13 PM ----------

But, as you probably know, they are not interchangeable since the engines have different firing order. I have had single cylinder Wisconsin with modified 2 cylinder magnetos on them "farm engineered".

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Isn't it the TJD that doesn't fire evenly?

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

I believe the TJD gas a 180 crank, the throws are 180 degrees apart. - sounds like a John Deere twin when running. The others use a 360 crank - both pistons hit TDC at the same time, only one under compression. Harder to balance but smoother operation. The TJD mag will have 2 high tension outlets on the cap, next to each other. The others will have the posts opposite each other, 180 degrees apart.

K-Tron

Registered

Andrew, the magneto on a TJD will have two high tension outputs, one higher than the other. The magneto with dual outputs side by side fits the even firing Wisconsin Twin's (TE, TF, TED, TFD, THD). In fact the entire magneto from a THD will swap onto a TFD and vice versa.

Chris

Zira

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019

My apologies, I misread the original post. Not enough coffee I guess.