• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

The 2926 Story

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Interesting documentary. I hope that they accomplish their goal.
Being interested in the Great Northern Railway it would be nice to see a similar restoration effort for Great Northern's S-2 #2584....a Northern (4-8-4) built in 1930 by Baldwin that is currently on static display in Havre MT. These were the first locomotives in the nation to be fitted with 80" drivers and were fitted with quite large 29"pistons. GN used them for fast passenger and mail service.
https://www.steamlocomotive.com/whyte/4-8-4/USA/photos/gn2584-houk.jpg

Railroads

Registered
Interesting documentary. I hope that they accomplish their goal.
Being interested in the Great Northern Railway it would be nice to see a similar restoration effort for Great Northern's S-2 #2584....a Northern (4-8-4) built in 1930 by Baldwin that is currently on static display in Havre MT. These were the first locomotives in the nation to be fitted with 80" drivers and were fitted with quite large 29"pistons. GN used them for fast passenger and mail service.
https://www.steamlocomotive.com/whyte/4-8-4/USA/photos/gn2584-houk.jpg
Hi Mark, I'm also interested in the GN and Milw Road.

The S2 would be a good candidate for restoration based on size and power. But the S2 has something of a controversy surrounding it, since one blew up without a known cause in the days of steam. The experts are wary of this locomotive. I've seen it mentioned that a engineering study would need to be conducted to look for design flaws in the boiler before one could be restored.

Such claims are always only worth a grain of salt though!

Robert

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Probably not a design flaw as Great Northern used the rest of the S-2's until their retirement in 1957. There was a couple of lines of thought on the S-2 #2581 that blew down her crown sheet in Crary ND on Jan 9th 1947. One blamed the fireman for an excessively low water level, the other blamed a new boiler cleaning method that engine #2581 had just received. It seem that GN had experimented with sand blasting the scale off the crown sheet on this engine. It was theorized that some of this loose debris had remained on the crown sheet when the locomotive was placed back into service. The debris would have insulated the crown sheet from the water and caused localized spots to overheat to the point were the crown pulled off the stay bolts. Of course when the boiler blew this evidence would have been long gone.

It would be interesting to know what really happened.