• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

The Ashton Gauge Page

Ironman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2011
Here are a few pics of my "little" Ashton. It measures 13 3/4" across the bezel, and is 8 1/2" deep from front of bezel to rear of mounting ears. From the center of one mounting ear hole to the center of the opposite mounting ear hole is 9 1/4". I weighed myself on a bathroom scale and then weighed myself while holding the little Ashton. It weighs in at 24 pounds. This gage is illuminated and currently has a 110 volt bulb in it. I suppose that originally it could have been equipped with a 32 volt. Serial number based on the chart you posted makes it well past a 1922 year of manufacture.

Attachments

Ashton

Registered
I'm insanely jealous! Where did you get it? It appears to be in great shape.
Someone sent me an email about a 48" lit master pilot gauge (over 200 lbs) that was for sale for $3000.00 And the buyer had to come get it.
Needless to say, it's not hanging off of the ceiling at my house. Not until I hit the lottery!

Ironman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2011
I'm insanely jealous! Where did you get it? It appears to be in great shape.
Someone sent me an email about a 48" lit master pilot gauge (over 200 lbs) that was for sale for $3000.00 And the buyer had to come get it.
Needless to say, it's not hanging off of the ceiling at my house. Not until I hit the lottery!
I purchased the Ashton gage (gauge) at a local auction house on October 30, 1999 for the sum of $275. I dug the receipt out of my filing cabinet today, hence my knowledge of the exact date of purchase. It was among the few remaining pieces of the collection of the first president of the engine club local to me, which held its first show in 1970. The gentleman that had owned it was my grandfather's best friend since they were in grade school together. I am not a steam collector however at the time of the auction I had a very good income, and I thought that the gauge was "cool". It was more or less an "impulse" buy because of its "coolness factor". The auctioneer that held the auction when I purchased the gauge is actually a member on SmokStak.

Ashton

Registered
I purchased the Ashton gage (gauge) at a local auction house on October 30, 1999 for the sum of $275. I dug the receipt out of my filing cabinet today, hence my knowledge of the exact date of purchase. It was among the few remaining pieces of the collection of the first president of the engine club local to me, which held its first show in 1970. The gentleman that had owned it was my grandfather's best friend since they were in grade school together. I am not a steam collector however at the time of the auction I had a very good income, and I thought that the gauge was "cool". It was more or less an "impulse" buy because of its "coolness factor". The auctioneer that held the auction when I purchased the gauge is actually a member on SmokStak.
Wow, the gauge has sentimental value too. Great story. I love when a piece has a story behind it. I have a couple of pieces in my collection that have great stories behind them too. It really makes them special.

Ashton

Registered
Ashton patent steam gage.
Ashton Valve bought out the Boston Steam Gauge company in 1892 and entered the gauge market.
They immediately offered their own Ashton patent steam gage. The 1896 catalog page says the item was patented in 1891, a year before they even purchased the Boston Steam Gauge company, who they purchased for a particular patent BSG owned. I wonder if it's the same patent?

Attachments

Ashton

Registered
That one seems to be in good shape. Do you know how old any of the Ashton ones are?
What are the serial numbers? Pop a few pictures on if you have the chance.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/07/2018
They were in the bottom of a metal bucket left outside at an estate sale. If I can read the numbers I’ll send pictures.

Ashton

Registered

Attachments