• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

The Boss Steam School, Held in Ohio

30-90 Russell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2014
I just received word of this tonight from the Chair form the State of Ohio Historical board and was asked to pass this information on for those that might be interested. Sorry for the short time frame, but on the positive side they are looking for interested parties to help set up another date in time to hold another steam school session, so if your intrested contact them at the provided information. Below is the attached e-mail I received tonight; also this will be posted to our web site at www.oaboa.org.

Zach Johnson

E-mail from Todd Young,

We are holding The Boss Steam School 5/7/11 and 5/21/11. State approved course for completion of Historical Boiler Operator License
Fee $ 40.00, includes print outs of presentation, hall rental, etc.

5/7/11 Course work, 9 – 5, bring sack lunch

5/21/11 State administered exam, Chief Boiler Inspector Dean Jagger, time to be determined, Field trip after exam

At the following address:
Brandywine Grange
Old St Rt 39
Dover, Ohio 44622

Interstate 77
Exit 83, Dover
West on St Rt 39
2 miles, right on Old St Rt 39, (on left will be a large silo advertising New Pointe Community Church)
Grange is first building on the left ½ mile

The grange does not have a street address as it is part of the Norma Johnson Center.
Class attendance is limited to 20 – 25 first come first serve. Currently have 12 booked.
Please contact me on my cell 330-447-6997.

BDMelon

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
:DWas a good school,I learned alot,took lots of notes,& some photos of some parts & tools,along with asking some questions I had. Thanks Todd Young & Joe Harrison & Co. for what I seen to be very enlightening program.:wave: Water, water, water I got it, & watch that water level move in that glass

Brian

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Pop Quiz: BD, what is the whistle signal to call for more bundle wagons?

Seriously, Its good to have an alternative steam school offered at a different location. This way some folks can make it to the school where distance to Dayton was a problem. I'm glad to see that the school was offered at a very reasonable price. Good job Ohio steam folks!

Jim A

Registered
"Farquharman, post: 1646072, member: 6982"]
At the beginning of this Thread at the bottom of the first post Todd Young listed his cell phone, he could tell you if, when and where.

Ok, thanks. I have actually just viewed a newsletter I found from Nov 2019 that had his phone number on it, along with a few others. I will have to make a few calls next week. I have attached the newsletter below. I had Emailed one of the gentlemen, but it bounced. Several of us here, working on Reading 2100, are interested in taking the course. I found a used copy of "Low Pressure Boilers" by Steingress and Walker, that looks to be quite detailed. While written for boiler use in buildings, and not specific to a steam tractor or locomotive, there is also a chapter on hot water heat, which I have some experience with. If you are interested in steam locomotives, I can recommend " Basic Steam Locomotive Maintenance" by D.C. Buell. This book was originally written in the 30's, and re-printed in the 80's. Used copies are readily available for about 35 dollars. Thanks again, Jim

Attachments

Jim A

Registered
I have made contact with one of the Ohio groups. They are working on presenting a class during the last weekend in March 2020. I am waiting for further details before I post anything pertaining to this.