• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

The Defiance Iron Works Ltd., Chatham, Ont. (2).

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
A handful of Defiance Iron Works engines were built in Chatham, Ontario during 1905 and 1906.
By the end of 1906 a few more were built after the company amalgamated with the Canadian Gas
Power and Launches Co. of Toronto.

Denis Rouleau19060115defiance.jpg

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Last Friday I received an email from someone I did not know. The email was titled "FREE TO A GOOD HOME".
The man said that a farmer friend has a little "dippy" motor in his barn and he has tried for a few years to give
it away as he wanted to clean stuff out of the barn. He had decided to haul the little motor to the junk yard in
the coming days.

The guy who sent me the email made an internet search on "Defiance Iron Works Co." Chatham, Ontario and
my name came up! That prompted him to send me an email asking if I knew of anyone interested in this motor.
I told him that at that price I would go and save it.

At that time because of Covid-19 the border between Quebec and Ontario was close to non essential travel but
luckily 3 days later the governments opened the border and I was able to make plans to go and pick the engine
up near Barrie Ontario. This is a 10 hour round trip for me but the price of gas is so low right now that I spent
less than $100.00 in gas.

To make a short story shorter, at 4:00am I left home and by 5:00pm I was back home with the little Defiance.

If someone is interested in seeing pictures of the Defiance just ask. its free free for the asking!
Denis Rouleau

Last edited: