• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Onan: The Devil's 5CCK has risen from the dead. Praise the Lord!

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
After months of doing nothing with the 5CCK that I bought from the Devil, actually a guy that owns and operates a church for devil worshippers, I got the set to run after a simple repair. The repair was a brush in the generator that somehow overheated and actually melted the lead wire on the brush. I did not have a spare brush so I made a quick repair that worked great (pictures attached below). Aside from the burnt brush and checking all other brushes as well as cleaning all the slip rings, I lightly sanded the points and did a few other basic checks. Afterwards, I only wanted to see if the 5CCK would kick using starting fluid. It would make my day if it did and originally I planned to stop at that point. I assumed that the carburetor was toast so why go further than starting fluid. I hooked up a big fooken battery and recorded the results as seen in the FIRST YouTube video below (click on the link to see the video). With only a little effort it kicked! I was happier than a pig in mud! I was going to call it a day, but I went forward and hooked up a gasoline line and tank. Again, I was very surprised to see the results as seen in the SECOND video below (click on the second video link below).

Setting up to test-fire the CCK after a brush repair

I could not stop after I knew it would fire over with starting fluid

Picture time!
The first picture shows the layout after hooking up to run the set under load and knowing it will run after the brush repair.
The burnt brush and its lead wire are seen in 2nd and 3rd pictures below.
The 4th picture below shows a JohnnyC quick fix for the brush lead when a spare is nowhere to be found.
The 5th picture below shows the results after a quick cleaning. It was extremely dirty and the brushes were basically free except for the burnt brush. It was a challenge to remove the burnt brush and it was the hardest brush to get access (bottom rear brush).
The last picture shows the set running at about 3700 watts. I ran the set for at least 1.5 hours at ~3700 watts and it ran flawlessly. I was having fun!!

The QUESTION -> How or why did one of the brushes burn hot enough to actually melt it's lead wire? The remaining brushes seemed fine. After my quick repair and cleaning it ran perfectly. Originally, the slip rings where extremely dirty. I assume the Devil may have tried to start the set with a small battery and/or undercharged battery and with all the dirt on the contact surfaces an electrical contact was not good resulting in a no-spin and destroying one of the brushes as a result. Does that make sense? Look at the second picture that shows the brush with the melted wire. LOOK at the contact surface that the brushes rode on. This is how I got the set. Second to last picture shows the slip rings after a quick cleanup.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

000.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
A smaller battery would deliver less current, so it wouldn’t be that. But if the other brush wasn’t making contact, then all of the current would flow in the remaining one. Twice the current equals four times the heat equals melted lead. ;)

Keith

Zephyr7

Registered
I agree with HB... This generator was probably keeping the lights on during eternal hell fire, so it was probably running pretty hot :)

Most likely you had some crud lodged in the brush, or a loose spring. Poor contact = high heat, more heat = worse contact, worse contact = even more heat, etc... Brush problems tend to be like compound interest on a credit card -- taking an already bad situation and making it even worse.

Glad to hear you got the set running without too much trouble! Perhaps now a thorough washing with holy water is in order ;)

Bill

BRae

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2015
I agree with HB... This generator was probably keeping the lights on during eternal hell fire, so it was probably running pretty hot :)

Most likely you had some crud lodged in the brush, or a loose spring. Poor contact = high heat, more heat = worse contact, worse contact = even more heat, etc... Brush problems tend to be like compound interest on a credit card -- taking an already bad situation and making it even worse.

Glad to hear you got the set running without too much trouble! Perhaps now a thorough washing with holy water is in order ;)

Bill
The old Gal sounds great! Dont put a muffler on it, really P.O. the neighbors...

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I just realized that in this thread I mention many times about the Devil's 5CCK without explaining the story behind it and I'm sure some folks may not know the background of this CCK and where I got it from. I just want to quickly explain. I seen an ad on craigslist for this set and made arrangements to buy it. I was given an address and was told by the seller that it is located at a church. So, off I went with a friend to buy it. We arrived and seen the set which was next to a motorhome on church property. The seller was the church owner and after I loaded the set onto my trailer my interest focused on the church since it was very old and unique from the outside. The seller was hesitant at first after I asked to see the architecture of the interior of the church but agreed to give a tour. We walked down into the basement from outside which was like a normal semi-finished basement then my friend and I were lead to the main floor of the church. When the Devil opened the door to the main floor it took a few seconds for my eyes to focus and my brain to make sense of what we walked into. Some of the first words I mumbled in front of the Devil was something like "holy sh!t, this is cool!". The Devil gladly showed me and my friend the entire church after knowing that I was not going to run out screaming in fear and allowed me to take pictures. I want to show you some of the pictures in this post which are as follows:

Picture time!!
First picture shows the motor home where the 5CCK came from located on the church property.
Second picture shows the view that I first seen after walking through the main door. It looks creepy which is what they want.
Third picture shows an eight foot skeleton mounted on a large cross over the pulpit. The Devil explained to me it meant Jesus never was taken off the cross and never resurrected. The skeleton represents a fleshless body of Jesus that was left to rot to the bone on the cross. My thought was I'm a dead man after that explanation.
Fourth picture shows an upside down cross. It was explained to me it is the cross of Saint Peter and is a symbol the anti-Christ. This inverted cross is large as seen in comparison to the doors in the picture.
Fifth picture shows a shot from the pulpit. Nice view, but very different than a regular church.
Sixth picture shows JohnnyC (not the Devil) at the pulpit ready to give the next sermon.

There was much, much more and everything that we would consider to be abnormal had a meaning to it in terms of their worship beliefs. It was one Hell of a tour, second to none. The Devil was actually a very nice person and really opened up to give my friend and me a very enjoyable tour even though I'm not into that stuff. Given the opportunity I would go back to attend one of their church services just for the hell of it.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

004.jpg

000.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
johnny, i skimmed thru the post, might i be the first to say YOU SUCK! ;) or just plain lucky!:headbang: regardless:beer:

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
The old Gal sounds great! Dont put a muffler on it, really P.O. the neighbors...
You spoke too late. During the 1.5 hours of run time I temporarily installed a small muffler to cut down on the sound and it worked great (see pictures below).

JohnnyC
New Jersey

000.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Tuesday's Update: Today I did a compression test on both cylinders as well as a spark plug check. Both cylinders were within 2 to 3 p.s.i. of each other (see first picture below). Not bad at all! The cylinder heads are low compression heads for gasoline.

Prior to starting the set for its first test, I cleaned both spark plugs. Although the plugs are not new, they cleaned up well. The second picture shows the same plugs after 1.5 hours of use and for most of the run time the set was under a 3.7kw load. Judging by the second picture, the plugs are not bad. No oil or soot deposits. I am amazed that the carburetor worked s well as it did.

I am preparing for a possible exorcism for the expulsion of a supposed evil spirits that may have come with this set so I 'm looking for holy water online. I can only find bottles (see third picture below). I may have to steal some holy water from my local church if none can be found online.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

000.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

Zephyr7

Registered
Ah, JohnnyC! I have the info you need, courtesy of contracting to a number of churches years ago. Get a 5 gallon jug of water for a water cooler, drive it to a nearby church, and ask the priest to bless the water. Presto! Now you have a 5 gallon jug of holy water!

I’m sure the priest will be more than happy to help you cleanse the soul of your poor onan that was forced into the service of the devil. Perhaps you can arrange for your onan to be baptized as well ;)

Bill

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018
funny church, pretty cheap looking....... I wonder if the devil "priest" used donations from his "followers" to pay for his living expenses. That's one way to live free.

I see you had to wear green gloves , so you wouldn't get contaminated by the evil sprites. at the podium. But I suppose a little rum/ planter's punch could cure that problem :)

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
funny church, pretty cheap looking....... I wonder if the devil "priest" used donations from his "followers" to pay for his living expenses. That's one way to live free.

I see you had to wear green gloves , so you wouldn't get contaminated by the evil sprites. at the podium. But I suppose a little rum/ planter's punch could cure that problem :)
Len, the building was built in the 1920's and was a regular church for decades as it was explained to me. The church fell into disrepair sometime in the last 20 years or so. The church was abandoned for many years and was bought by the Devil not too long ago (6 yrs???). I was shown old pictures when he bought the church and it was a hell of a mess compared to today. He wanted the old "patina" look and this is what you see in the pictures I posted. If you noticed, there are NO stained glass windows. If you think about it, church stained glass windows depict a different story than the Devil's beliefs. He removed the stained glass windows. Truthfully, it was an amazing tour.

It seems like every trip I make to buy an Onan is an adventure. When I bought my DJA, the location was a remote farm in New Jersey where I was attacked by goats. I posted one picture of a goat that got into my SUV and was in the driver's seat. When I bought my 7.5 JB, I had to travel to Amish country in Pennsylvania and was driving along side horse and buggies on the roads. I think the only thing that can top the Devil's church adventure is buying and picking up an Onan in an Isis terrorist camp which I'm sure I would not be coming back.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Zephyr7

Registered
yea. don't go steal none from the church, that will condemn you to the hellfire of only having genercrap gen sets for eternity. :yikes:
One of the churches I did contract work for actually had someone steal the fancy bible (the big one, not one from a pew) from them. I remember not even believing them when they told me at first. Who would steal a bible out of a church? Even the devil would probably frown on that.

The church people were most upset because they had to start locking the doors of the chapel and they really wanted to keep it open all the time.

Bill

Last edited:

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
You got the better part of the deal - JC and the Devil ('s church) :devilish:. Nice muffler: from something at your work place? I really enjoy your posts and pictures. zuhnc

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
You got the better part of the deal - JC and the Devil ('s church) :devilish:. Nice muffler: from something at your work place? I really enjoy your posts and pictures. zuhnc
I got the muffler at work for free. It is a BMW stainless steel muffler. We had it in stock, but the piece shown in the picture below broke. We could not sell it or return it. Instead it was in the trash pile ftom which I rescued it for my use.

Johnnyc
New Jersey

20200212_085839.jpg20200212_085839.jpg

EICBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Back in the day when I worked for Chrysler, I scored a fair amount of NOS parts whenever there were issues like that or when too many accessory kits were ordered. I took home 3 complete cruise control kits that were destined for the dumpster.
-BobC