• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

The GO Tractor made in Derby Ct.

myron wininger

Registered
I am looking for infomation on the ( The GO Tractor ) possibly built in Derby Ct . or in Cedar Rapids Iowa .
It may have been sold or built by ( The General Ordnance Co. )
Myron in ct.

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018
The GO tractor was initially offered under the names Denning and National, but was mostly marketed under the GO name. The Denning Tractor Co of Cedar Rapids, IA developed what it marketed as the Denning Tractor around 1916 after producing a couple of smaller tractors. In 1919, the General Ordnance Co., which had so far been involved in building armaments for the US. Navy for WW1, purchased the Denning Tractor Co. The Denning was briefly renamed the National, and then the GO for the initials of General Ordnance. Advertising from GO traded heavily on their wartime history but also advertised 8 years of service in ads for the GO in 1919. This is odd as the earliest I was able to find mention of a Denning design was 1913. There are supposedly 8 remaining GO tractors known, with only two in running order. Dick Bockwoldt is the owner of one of these, the other is in South Africa. One was advertised for sale last year in Minnisota that is almost complete.

I haven't gotten to ever look at one in detail, but the GO used a friction disk transmission, from what I could see from a couple of photo's it looks to be similer to the Heider setup, but not sure how the speed is controled. The earlier Dennings were a little differnt design, but I don't have a lot of information on them.

//after looking at a photo I had, it looks more like a yoke mechanism then the heiders sliding engine. It used a Waukesha N 4.5" bore & 5.75" stroke engine for the 14-28

Last edited:

David Parfitt

Registered
Here is the info I have on surviving GO tractors:

(1) Currently in England, ex-Sandstone Estates, South Africa (but same owner), ex-Oscar Cooke. Restored and running.
(2) Displayed at Mt Pleasant, Iowa show in 1980s/90s (is this the Dick Bockwoldt one?) Restored and running.
(3) Private collection in South Dakota, currently under restoration.
(4) Private collection in Wisconsin.
(5) Western Development Museum branch at North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada.

I didn't know anything about the one in Minnesota, so would be interested to find out more about that, plus the other two.

David

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018

David Parfitt

Registered
Many thanks Paul - I wonder if it actually sold?

Just checked, and Jim Erdle in New York state also has a GO, which he describes as a 12-20(?)

All the best

David

Last edited:

Bud Tierney

Registered
Paul: A couple of possibly interesting points on the GO's 8 years:
(1) a 1917 ring catalog lists:
(a) the "Pug (Denning) model B" as 1912-15, with 3ring pistons taking 43/4x9/32 rings; that's a very small section with a note that it's also an oversize for 43/4x1/4 rings. The only matchable engine in that section is the Beaver "A", but I have no other info on the "A";
(b) the Denning model B as 1913-15, with 3ring pistons taking 43/4x1/4 rings, a very popular size. Matchable engines are the Beaver JB, some marine eng's I think we can ignore, Wauk H, P and PU4, Wisc A,AI and AU.
While these catalogs are unreliable as to years (and everything else!), it could put Denning production back to 1912.
(2) One of the tractor ref books (Which I didn't note) said Denning was "experimenting" with tractors from 1908; I'm surprised their advertising people didn't say 11 or 12 years experience!

Mike Linder

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I know the family that owns that GO in Minnesota it is only twenty miles from my house, and we did some of the work on the tractor. The two brothers still have it. They tried to sell it last summer but had no luck.

gleaner

Registered
Marvin Bules of Pond Creek, Oklahoma owns one, it's restored and is a beauty.

Back in the mid 1980's a nice one sold at Manhattan, Kansas for $4500 but I had made a deal on an original 16-30 Oil Pull so as is always the case, no funds available.

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018
Mike, it looked like a nice tractor to finish off. I inquired but didn't make an offer, we weren't even in the ball park on a price. Did they ever get it running?

Mike Linder

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
No it is still not running, I would say it is about 80% finished it still need new fenders made for it yet, they have the originals but are in such tough shape that new ones need to be made, the motor is finished but have not made it run yet, I too asked what they were asking for it and was out of my league.:bonk:

David Parfitt

Registered
Is anyone here in touch with Jim Erdle, and could check whether it is in fact a 12-22 model, and maybe get a serial no. for it?

Many thanks

David

bmkeste

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2020
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have current information on the GO Tractor and which examples still exist? My grandfather used to own one. I have a crude picture of it from way back in the day (see attached). I would love to be able to find the exact tractor (if it even still exists). Any information anyone has would be helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018
Since this thread, I have seen a couple of GO's in person. Jim Erdles is now at Forest City IA and it is brought to various events. The others listed above are still where they were as far as I know. #2 on Davids list is Dick Bockwoldts. I believe there is now one in northern Europe, Dick was restoring it a few years ago for the owner.

I recall Erdle may have had two, the one that went to Forest City, and another that was kept. Here are pictures of the one that went to Forest City.

Attachments

hitmissfan

Registered
you are correct the Erdle's indeed did have two "GO" tractors one of which they still own it was at the pageant of steam in Canandaigua this year.

on a side note US patents 1,207,875 1,279,670 1,279,671 and 1,250,813 relate to the "GO" tractor (general ordinance)

hope this helps

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
There was a tractor with GO on it at Carthage last weekend.A man driving it and a woman riding best I can remember.I only got a glimpse of it being drove,but I did walk by it as it was parked. Seems it has a big friction drive drum for a clutch? I shoulda took a picture as I couldn't help but think about a Maxwell car and a Snapper lawnmower when i saw the friction drive.

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018
That was the forest city one, I saw they hauled it down there for the show. I talked to bockwoldt this weekend, he said the GO he had worked on that I thought went overseas actually went out west, he wasn't sure where.