• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

The Great Minneapolis Line

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Re: The Great MINNEAPOLIS Line

The type of wood being used makes a world of difference. Cured hard wood has a lot more BTUs than scrub and soft wood. Also the way the grates are set up makes quite a difference. F.J.W.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

The type of wood being used makes a world of difference. Cured hard wood has a lot more BTUs than scrub and soft wood. Also the way the grates are set up makes quite a difference. F.J.W.
If it is the engine I believe it is, they would have had hardwood available for threshing - though always less desirable wood around too. But I was thinking along the same lines on the grates. I'm sure there are examples to prove me wrong, but I assumed that most coal grates would perform fine for wood by just adding a dead sheet.

Wasn't a Minneapolis 26 double built on their 25 boiler? I suppose exhaust nozzles could make some difference, but not sure what else would change in the set-up. :shrug:

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

About the double Minneapolis firing, I run one of only two operating Minneapolis doubles in the world. Its a 1907 26 hp double. It fires overall pretty easy, the only exception is belted to a separator. On the separator I can go through a full wagon load of wood in a very very short time, and still lose pressure, but if I use coal it works just fine because it was designed as a coal burning engine.
Did you have your engine at the Scott-Carver show last year?

Case-d

Registered

I have fired MANY different boilers, and most of them Minneapolis and this 26 has to be the hardest of all the engines I have ran to fire threshing. The grates and the fire are defiantly not a problem, nor the exhaust nozzle either. It just comes down to design. GreasyIron you are correct this year of engines they used the same boiler for most if not all their engines. I have a 1907 20 hp Minneapolis with a 25hp boiler, and the same with my 06-07 ish 22hp Minneapolis.

And Tim Colwell I didn't have any of my Minneapolis' at Scott - Carver last year, I did have the half scale Case there last year though.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

I was discussing Minneapolis engines with a Case owner recently and was trying to describe how a given size [just "new" sizes, we didn't get into the longer list, or the compound naming] Minneapolis would fit in or in-between what Case engine/s.

The best I could do was a 20 would, in cylinder, be about like a 60, a 24 about like a 65, and a 28 like an 80. I noted the Minnie would likely weigh more in each of those pairs, on the other hand I admitted recalling some aggressive brake readings for Case. I also noted that a Minneapolis has a huge firebox and generally seem easy to fire to me.

That got me thinking though. I remember a nice dimension/weight chart in post 3 for Case engines. Has anyone made similar for Minneapolis? Are there even any weight listings for Minni?

Brian P

Registered

I've had these pictures a while and figured this thread would be a good place to post the. The first one is my wife, son and I running the 26hp double Minneapolis 5669 and the other is of me teaching a student how to operate it at Forrest city Iowa, and the third is of me and a couple of good friends on the baker fan.

Attachments

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156237

I think everyone in three states knows anyway, and the only reason for no post here yet is that I don't have any good pictures to go with it, but the rest of what we bought with the ejector and 1000lbs of grates and handholes was 1916 25HP Minneapolis 7725. Post 45 shows it about 1o years ago - before getting prettied up and a little R-Stamp work. Yes, I know that it looks like a 28 on the outside - it is, but some 1916s were built with 2.5" tubes, in the butt-strap 150psi boiler, still as 25HP.

Our driveway is drying out, and I think we're closer to trucking arrangements. Anyone have some good advice for timing after the eccentric spun partially out of time? How about extra canopy brackets? Advice on making the canopy? That may not happen this year, but I may as well start to get prepared.

I think that Rollag is already expecting a couple 28 Canadians, a couple Americans, and maybe a lap seam 10X11 25, so this really wouldn't have much for unique features. We're not planning to bring it, though not ruling it out either.

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

I knew this post would come some time soon. I know Doug Lagenbac has built many Minneapolis canopies such as the one on Mr. Rubles 721. PM me and I can give you his phone number.

Last edited:

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018

These picture's are of Minneapolis 721 after the complete restoration. It was quite the honor to be part of the restoration and reassembly of this piece of history
Brian...I was there at Rynda's Sale when #721 sold. Doug Langenbach also was interested in this engine but the UT readings I took on the bottom of the barrel showed really thin readings. The readings on the RF Avery were better and Doug bought this one and the 30 hp Huber.

In 2004 boiler replacement was considered an extravagant undertaking in the steam engine hobby. Today it is much more commonplace.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

Still have not had a fire in 7725 yet, but trying to narrow down what things can happen before show season.

Does anyone know whether 1916 would have been wood or steel bows and stringers for the canopy? I'm thinking by '17 it was steel, but even that is a wild enough guess.

Iclida

Registered

7725 should have a steel canopy. Edin's have 7700 at Rollag and it the original canopy on it.

Steamrguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Hey Minneapolis Guys
I am looking for some input on the repair on my 20 house Minneapolis #8376.
I would like to get the wheels running true again on the stub axle again. I have tossed around a few ideas but I thought I would ask someone that may have some experience for advice. I am guessing a bit but it looks like a steel stub axel pressed into the casting mounted to the boiler. Has Anyone had any experience removing this steel axel or can give me any advice on how others have fixed this problem?

Thanks much
Dean Alling

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016

That steel axle was cast into the casting not pressed into it. Here's some pictures of me turning a set of axles for a 20hp.

Attachments

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016

Pic of me boring the wheels. Ordered sleeve material today to make sleeves and press onto axles.

Attachments

Steamrguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Thanks for the information! that helps a lot. Where are you ordering the sleeves from? I assume they are cast?

-DA-

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016

I ordered steel tubing that I have to make the sleeves from. Steel supply in rolling meadow Indiana has the best prices.

Steamrguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Thanks, Your going to shrink these onto the axle then. Probably the smart way to go.