• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

The Great Minneapolis Line

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
Re: The Great MINNEAPOLIS Line

Yes shrinking them over the axles. It'll be steel sleeves running on the cast iron wheel hub.

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
I have given that thought before. From what Iv figured out by talking to several people that you would have to use a pretty high quality brass so it would hold up. The price for material would be a lot more. In my opinion with good lubrication which lots of these engines lacked the steel running on cast should last several generations to come. I bored some wheels for a hieder tractor and I did sleeve them with some 932 bronze but in that case it's a lot smaller tractor and a lot lighter vs a steam engine so I felt they would hold up just fine in that application.

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
On my 15hp Buffalo Pitts, the rear stubs had a cast in steel stub. The wheel rode on the steel stub on the outer end, and the casting on the inner side of the shaft. 2 diameter design. The wheels theoritically had bronze bushings in them at one time, but they were no where to be seen. Lubrication was also only oil. I could slide my fingers in between the hub and the axle.

Had the wheels bored & trued. Turned the stubs to clean up then shrunk steel sleeves on them then turned to match the wheel diameter, allowing 0.030" total clearance. Converted from oil to grease lubrication and use a heavy grease. Been running that way for 18 years now and holding up fine. Average probably 20-30 miles of running each year.

Cast iron on steel is an acceptable bearing combination.

Pete

Lynnhomes01

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2016
I have friend that is selling a couple of engines and looking to get some info for him. The first is a Minneapolis I believe 24 hp. Serial number 8573. It was purchased in Northern Indiana a few years ago. Does anyone know the history of this engine and confirm size and year?

Attachments

LundMachineWorks

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2018
Pre-code which puts them before 1914/15, they both also seem to have one less spoke in the rear wheels which would make them before 1910.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Has anyone recast differential spider gears that would fit a 28? Have a bunch of things tore apart right now, so it'd be nice a time to replace them, if there are any around. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Langes built mine up many years ago. Took it apart this year and see no wear.
Interesting you should note Langes! As of yesterday, Jason has an intermediate and pinion lined up next those from a certain 30HP. When taking off the intermediate, I thought the spiders worth a closer look.

Jason said that he can do a build up, but if somebody had previously cast extras or still has the pattern that would probably be cheaper on spiders.

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Can anyone give me an idea as to what year a Minneapolis Return Flue, serial number 2787, may have been built? I will try to get some photos for us soon.

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Anybody have any idea of what a 22 or 24hp Minne weighs? I looked through a couple catalogs and I can find a lot of dimensions but they never mention a weight. It seems like Minne made engines much heavier than what they were rated for so I imagine a 22/24 would be close to 25k or more.

Darren Gunderson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but the 20 hp that I run is about 24 K so you would certainly expect the 22 and 24 to be heavier than that.

Darren

jekimb

Registered
Apologies for the low quality photos, I didnt think to ask for close ups, so I had to resort to screenshotting a video I took of the engine.

I don't know if this engine has been shown yet, But this is one of those 2 stack engines, its only one of its size known to exist. She was also swapped over to run on 1 stack after Minneapolis found out how bad the fire drafted with 2, No surprise there. The engine is currently owned by the Blotti family of Minnesota and they have restored it and kept it in amazing shape all the while showing up to my local show to steam corn every single year.

Attachments

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Field ready, but without canopy, pump, or coal: our 1916 25HP weighed 33,300. I've always heard right about 30K dry on the 28s, which seems right, but don't have any scale tickets for it. AFAIK, upon changing the name of the new models to 28HP, they only changed the tube pattern not boiler thickness, so reasonable to say 28s were about 34K all decked out. Adding a jacket, and a bunker full of coal, might nudge it well into that, but I don't see tipping the 35K figure.

I'd take a WAG at about 1000 less for the lap seam 25s.

Far from first hand or hard data, but I've heard about 3,000lb extra for the 28 Canadians.

---------- Post added at 04:09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52:28 PM ----------

I researched this awhile back, and if my memory is correct,the 24 weighs 29,000, dry, and the 22 is around 28,500.
Interesting! I'd guessed more like 28K for a 24HP, just based on the 28s being about 30K. But in a line up, the step between a 20 and a 24 does look more definitive than between a 24 and a 28HP.

coalsmoke

Registered
A little bump in the thread . . .

Doing some painting on a Minnie to change the red tone slightly . . . Has anyone tried Case/IH red color yet and been pleased with the outcome?

Jimmys Tractors

Registered
I only post this here to throw ours "in the ring" on this great thread. Probably should have just done that instead of starting a new thread a few weeks back.
Of course everybody and their dog probably know about it, but it's a pretty exciting venture so you just want to share it with the world!:p
We (my brother and I, as well as Bill and Gib Thurman) had a 25-85 Nichols and Shepard bought last year, and were contacted by members of part of the original family. To make a long story short, a trade was made after both parties seemed satisfied with the deal, and we now own a 28 American number 8370. Although this engine was in Illinois when we acquired it, it actually came from about 40-50 miles from where it now calls home in Adrian, Mo. The previous owners had acquired it from an auction probably 15 or so years ago from a Mr. Hey. Supposedly it came from around Sylvia, Kansas when it was sold new, and we were told 1) it has spent MANY years in a shed (we were told its been under cover since probably the 40s, unfired) and 2) it spent quite a bit of time pulling road equipment, building roads in its early years. Gearing shows wear, but the boiler is MORE than excellent, and there seems to be minimal weather wear (pitting, etc.) on the exterior, making the possibility of it being under a roof a chunk of its life very believable. Pieces of original boiler jacket remain, though 99% is long gone. It's in "very original" condition, sports an original oil pot and original oil lines, geared water pump, etc. While we were very much so attached to the Nichols, we look forward to creating an attachment to this one. The black and white photo we believe could very well be ours, but not 100% sure. The photo was taken around the Reno County/Sylvia, Ks. area.

Attachments

Jimmys Tractors

Registered
Ill add more pictures here, showing just a few things she still has. The gentleman in front of the wheel is Ed, one of the family members who we traded the Nichols back to and who bought the Minneapolis out of Kansas 15 or so years ago.

Attachments