• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

The Kenny and Wendy Wolf Collection

Tom Stockton

Last Subscription Date
11/04/2015
For those who haven't been to Ken's & Wendy's place before,
be careful about relying upon GPS. My Garmin sent me in
the wrong direction when I entered his home address.
For pick-up at his barns, I'm using 2177 N Eel River Cemetery Rd.
I'll review my route on google maps before leaving...just to be sure.

Be safe, & have fun.

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
That fantastic little 2-hp Gould Shapley & Muir wants to come
home with you. It's even more impressive than the pix show.
It's a beautiful engine, and I will be able to play with it as the new owner is a close friend!! :D:O

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
What happened on the auction Thursday?? On Wednesday's auction all of the items stayed on until the end of the auction and people were able to bid on anything. On Thursday's auction the auction was not over but items were disappearing before my eyes. I wanted to see what some items were bringing and they were gone. Did they change the rules in the middle of the game? What happened? Ron

Jason Dahm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Quote..."The auction was not over but items were disappearing before my eyes."

This is generally how auctions seem to go! :D

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
As happens with all auctions, I thought some things sold very reasonable, some went rather high. I think there were some really good buys. The Miller was, I thought, a good buy and the Thomas Kane Victor was very inexpensive for the rarity and quality of engine it is. I thought the Charter sold very reasonable as well.

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
What Tommy means to say is.

"Shoot, I own one of each of those and these prices are driving my values down" :D

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
I wish I'd paid more attention to the Victor, lot of monkey motion there!!

Guess you can always trade it to me later...:O

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Jonathan, I didn't get the Victor, but I know who did. I owned that engine a long time ago (for a short period of time). Wished I had kept it. I know where its going and its got a very good home. Yes, its got a lot of movement on it and is an extremely rare item. It was a heck of a buy I think.

I didn't get the Charter either. I've got a couple of Charter's almost identical to it but they're both older than the one from the Wolf sale.

On the Miller, well, I did get it. I think it was a good buy. I plan on picking it up Friday (unless we get snowed out.....)

Tom Stockton

Last Subscription Date
11/04/2015
Jonathan, I didn't get the Victor, but I know who did. I owned that engine a long time ago (for a short period of time). Wished I had kept it. I know where its going and its got a very good home. Yes, its got a lot of movement on it and is an extremely rare item. It was a heck of a buy I think.

I didn't get the Charter either. I've got a couple of Charter's almost identical to it but they're both older than the one from the Wolf sale.

On the Miller, well, I did get it. I think it was a good buy. I plan on picking it up Friday (unless we get snowed out.....)
I've decided that the Charter is one of the most attractive engines ever made...full base,
simple majestic lines, single flywheel opposite the pulley, stylish cylinder oiler, big iron
nameplate. If ever you decide to scrap one, I do some occasional hauling.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Anyone know who was the under bidder on the Springfield # 1004.I have one and had it running at Coolspring. Here is the video https://youtu.be/HLvSb1Evyl8 In the video there is a Maytag running and was shut down near the end and you can hear how quiet the Springfield runs. I think that mine is in better condition and will do a better deal. I'll put it on classified. Ron

Last edited:

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Anyone know who was the under bidder on the Springfield # 1004.I have one and had it running at Coolspring. Here is the video https://youtu.be/HLvSb1Evyl8 In the video there is a Maytag running and was shut down near the end and you can hear how quiet the Springfield runs. I think that mine is in better condition and will do a better deal. I'll put it on classified. Ron

Ron,
Funny things happen when people are bidding on an item, either live bidding or via the internet. Here's an example. Several years ago I was at an auction and they sold a 3 HP engine. It brought $16,000. It just so happens that a good friend had the identical engine for sale on Harry's for $7500. The engine on Harry's was immaculate. The owner was a machinist and he had replaced every pin and bushing, had it mounted on a beautiful cart with a nice cooling tank, battery box and so on. The backup bidder was standing right beside me. When he lost out I leaned over and asked him if he was familiar with Harry's internet site (Enginads hadn't been up long at that time). He said no but he did have a computer and internet access. I pulled a card from my pocket and wrote the web address on the back. I handed it to him and said if he would go to that web address he would find an engine just like the one he just bid on, only better, and he could get it for 1/2 price of what the engine sold for. He looked at me and said "thanks, but I wanted this one". Sometimes it doesn't matter if one can be bought for a similar or lesser amount. Its the particular engine, not its value, that matters.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
A word of caution to the buyer and others who have the Emory Campbell Springfield engine. Don't walk away from the engine while it is running. While working on mine the governor stuck and the engine started to run away. It didn't all of the time , but one hard hit to throw the weighs to the limit can jam them. The governors need to be repaired. There is two ways to do it. One is to add material (weld) onto the finger that rides on the disc to make it a little longer and closer to the inside. The other way which is what I did is to make the disc 1/4" larger in diameter. It works without a problem now. Ron

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020

he could get it for 1/2 price of what the engine sold for. He looked at me and said "thanks, but I wanted this one". Sometimes it doesn't matter if one can be bought for a similar or lesser amount. Its the particular engine, not its value, that matters.
*****Tommy I was thinking about that and it would make sense if the engine was historically significant. It would have to be documented and well known. It doesn't make sense or cents to say I'm going to pay twice what it is worth even I can buy the other one for half that price. Of course I guess it doesn't have to make sense does it. Anyone want to buy my Springfield for $52k. :O Ron

Tom Stockton

Last Subscription Date
11/04/2015
*****Tommy I was thinking about that and it would make sense if the engine was historically significant. It would have to be documented and well known. It doesn't make sense or cents to say I'm going to pay twice what it is worth even I can buy the other one for half that price. Of course I guess it doesn't have to make sense does it. Anyone want to buy my Springfield for $52k. :O Ron
I suspect that sometimes we just get caught up in auction fever.
An item's high price is validated by other bidders being willing
to pay more. At that moment, many bidders aren't shopping for
alternatives....they just see what's in front of them. It's coveted
by many with deep pockets, & passions are running high with very
little time to consider things.

I had a great time there yesterday while loading up.
And the weather was on our side.

Btw, to the guy who stole the 2 meters from Kenny's Swartz
dynamo at that engine show some many years ago....
I'd like to buy them from you.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I brought home the Miller yesterday. Here it is in the back of the truck at my house. I've got it all lined up to take to the sandblaster's on Monday to get it down to bare metal. I've decided to paint it JD Green with JD Yellow flywheels. It should show up really nice!

:barf:

Just kidding folks. I think I'll go the hand cleaner used with a parts cleaner brush to try to take off the grease. There's a lot of original paint on it and a lot of original pin striping you can see. Hopefully it can be brought out with a good cleaning.

Attachments

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019
I was really impressed with how much striping was intact on that engine. I'm sure you will have it shining like a diamond in short order.