The MacLeod, built by Nelson Brothers 1 3/4 hp

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
I just picked up this MacLeod engine that was built by the Nelson Brothers. The engine is in nice shape, except it is missing the push rod for the magneto. It has a casting (or forging) that stands off the exhaust push rod that holds a rod for the springs and washers for the magneto drive. I am really hoping someone may have one in their parts piles. It is all I really need for this one. We even found the gas tank in the shed as we dug around, but not that part. :( Any help to truly understand it in terms of measurements, photos and diagrams would also be appreciated in the event I have to build one. The final photo show what the assembly looks like attached to the exhaust push rod.

Attachments

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Are all the pics of your engine, or are some of other engines for reference? If they are all your engine, then I think you might have it all, perhaps not together right. The drive type looks similar to the Lauson W. I think you need to try flipping the drive spring assembly around on the push rod. The forked part of the L shaped drive arm should go between the washers between the drive and return springs. Enclosed is a pic of the Lauson drive.

Oops, I just realized that last pic has the pushrod loose and probably turned around.

Attachments

Last edited:

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
All but the push rod are my engine. I was blessed by the photo from another collector. The Nelson Brothers built this engine for several retailers including Sattley and others. The concept is similar on many Wico magneto equipped engines.