• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Thermoils at Coolspring

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Got back from Coolspring today. Wednesday was gooey; Thursday was cloudy but decent; yesterday was gorgeous; today, after five hours of heavy rain overnight, the grounds looked like a ten-acre rice paddy. But it’s all good. I got to meet some of the people that frequent this site. That was cool. I was a little disappointed I didn’t get to hang out and chat much; perhaps another time. There were sixteen ‘Thermoils’. I think that is the most ever assembled in one place other than the factory. Relying on my tiny little kerosene-fried brain, the list was:

three 2 ½ hp T’s
two 5 hp T’s
one 7 hp T
two 1 ½ hp U’s
one 3 hp U
two 6 hp U’s
one 7 hp UA
one 8 hp U
two 9 hp UA’s (well, maybe one; Tim’s stuck-between 8/9 U/UA is included in that)
one 12 hp Renfrew twin

Pretty awesome!!! We got Keith Kinney’s 5 hp T up and running after some miscellaneous adjustments. That in itself made it all worthwhile.
Keith’s presentation on the history of Herculese was well worth the time with some good questions afterwards. Keith and Isaac, nice job!! We appreciate your efforts. Thanks to all who brought their engines out. It was really cool and I hope we can do it again sometime……….when the ground’s a little firmer.

Kirk

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Kirk,
Yup, some great looking and running Thermoils, Spartas, and other Hercules makes and knock offs. As I've said on many occasions, if I had to go back to the late teens and twenties to live and had to use an engine, it would more than likely be a Hercules or Economy. Simple, abundant and dependable. I REALLY liked that 2 cylinder Renfrew and Keith's engine ran nice. I really hate that I had to miss the talk on Friday night. Had to get back here for a wedding.....:wave:

Last edited:

Dave Nielsen

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2018
The rain woke me up at around 3.00Am this morning. I got up a little past 5.30Am and thought it may be my best bet to get out of there without having to be pulled. I wish i could have got up the lecture last night, but with a pickup camper and 18ft trailer, i thought it best to stay put. I did wind up with a couple new treasures there. Thank you Randy for hauling the Hercules cart back up north for me and thank you Jim for helping me get that 4hp Sparta back over to my trailer. Dave Nielsen

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, what a list of Hvids! Any chance someone took pics of the 12hp twin Renfrew?
Would have loved to be there in person but still too many things occupying time.
I did manage to crank and run my Brantford Hvid awhile on Friday night.:)

MCanady

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
I was there Thursday and Friday and seeing that many Thermoil's running was great. Kirk when you guys were starting and running the Thermoils and their relatives you really drew a crowd. Thanks Merton

TBuchanan

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/20/2015
Kirk,

You and your friends stimulated my senses ............thanks.

Nothing like unburnt hydrocarbons in the morning.

Tom

Keith Kinney

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
We just got home a few minutes ago. 600 miles on the nose. A BIG thank you to Kirk and Kyle for all the help on the 5 HP T Thermoil. I really appreciate all your efforts. It now runs great! Can't wait to unload it tomorrow and drive the misquotes out of the barn. :D
Thanks to guys for fielding the questions at the lecture on the Thermoils. It really added a lot.
Keith

Wayne Grenning

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2018
Dwayne, Here is a short Video of it in operation.

Great Engine Kirk !

Sorry about the "jiggling camera" but those of you who own one of these will understand that they shake - even the very substantial fifth wheel trailer this engine was on.

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks for the video! What a neat engine. I have four more years of kids in school and work and then I will be able to attend several shows in the north east that I've always dreamed of.

tim l kesler

Registered
Got home Saturday afternoon had a great time even though it rained and was muddy! Got to put faces with a lot of people that chat on here, it was nice to Finally meet all you guys! I have never seen that many Thermoils in one place before either, that was great! I hope we put a dent in the mosquito population! Keith Glad you got your 5 T up and running! Hope to see it at Portland! :wave:

George & Helen Myers

In Memory Of Helen
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2010
Didn't want to start a new thread on the Coolspring Show and maybe some of you guys don't want your significant other to know this but I am going to mention it any how! For those of you that weren't at the Show, there are now flush toilets and paid showers! That was an expensive undertaking considering that Coolspring Power Museum does not have a large source of income! This has to be an asset to future shows at Coolspring, that creek is very cold in the summertime! Helen

Kyle K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Well my flock has been put away. Does anyone know who had the 2.5 T that left Friday night or Saturday morning that was parked all the way at the back? Seems to have gotten under the radar. Glad to put some faces with names. While the show is fresh in our minds would there be interest in possibly asking to have a Hvid/Oil engine show as a feature show at CPM? Thoughts? If any of the powers to be of CPM read this feel free to comment.

Kyle K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I did manage to crank and run my Brantford Hvid awhile on Friday night

Well at least you offset some of the climate change we where doing in Pa. It is a shame Texas and Pa are not a little closer.

Kyle K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
There goes the property value of the neighborhood. Looks good Keith. Is your arm getting used to the crank by now.

John Cunningham

Registered
Hey Kyle K
I see you have a Brantford. I wonder if my Hoag is similar. Anyway you have quite the fleet and I wondered if you can help me with my injector problem. I am having a hard time getting fuel through the metering rod assembly. What is that supposed to look like in there? The pin just sits there with no spring action. I have had it appart to inspect and relapped the fuel admiting valve but if I recall correctly I should be able to spray carbcleaner easily through all the ports. Where the metering rod or pin goes in it is blocked and spray will not go through.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
John:

I'm not familiar with your particular engine but all Hvids are about the same.

With the fuel needle out, you should have a clear passage through to the fuel admitting valve seat.

You could have a gob of dirt or some built-up carbon blocking the passage.

Also, it would be interesting to know if yours is supposed to have a return spring to keep the fuel needle open 'til the governor closes it. Without a spring, the needle will act like a check valve that works in the exact wrong direction.

Take care - Elden:wave:

John Cunningham

Registered
Hey Elden
Thanks for the response. Our show starts on Friday so I am low on time. I have to believe also there should be a spring but where did it go. There is no shoulder on the rod so did the spring go up against the point? Also there looks to be a sleeve for the metering rod in the body that looks frozen solid. The spring may have disintegrated from corrosion and then went down in the hole. I have a 6" jobber bit that is at least 3/32" in diameter. Should I go down in there with that or should I try to come up from the hole in the admitting valve seat? I would still have to figure out a spring.

Kirk Taylor

Registered
John,
I can try to take a couple of photos tonight if I get the chance.
I am going to guess from your description that the metering rod is stuck in the hole. What you are calling a "pin" is actually the pin that operates the metering rod. It's ~1/8" in diameter and 1 3/4" long??
The metering rod itself is 1/2" in diameter at the top with ~5/16" hole ~1/2 deep, steps down to ~1/4" in diameter, then the actual metering part at the bottom end is ~3/32". The overall length is ~3 1/2". It is spring-loaded with a spring resting in the bottom of the hole and pushing up on the shoulder created by the step-down from 1/2 to 1/4 in diameter.
Please don't do ANY drilling until you are sure what exactly you are doing.
If the metering rod is in fact stuck, the best way to pull it is thread the inside then attach a slide hammer and bump it out.
Let me or someone get more information to you.

Kirk