• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Thompson Tiger serial number

ARader

Registered
Could anyone out there that owns a Thompson Tiger engine confirm whether the numbers stamped on the end of the crankshaft are in fact the same as the numbers stamped for the serial number on the tag? Im also curious if someone could give me some rough measurements to confirm the horsepower size of my engine. My engine is missing its tag and I'm looking into seeing if someone could reproduce a tag for it

Thanks,
Andy

Rudy

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/07/2018
Hi,Andy. I have two Thompson Tiger engines. On my aircooled the serial number on the tag is the same as on the end of the crankshaft. It's a 2 -1/4 HP ,with 4 inch bore,5 -1/2 stroke, flywheels are 19 -1/4 inches in diameter by 1-7/8 wide.The hopper cooled one is buried in the shed.Not accessible at the moment.

ARader

Registered
Hi,Andy. I have two Thompson Tiger engines. On my aircooled the serial number on the tag is the same as on the end of the crankshaft. It's a 2 -1/4 HP ,with 4 inch bore,5 -1/2 stroke, flywheels are 19 -1/4 inches in diameter by 1-7/8 wide.The hopper cooled one is buried in the shed.Not accessible at the moment.
Rudy, would you mind snapping a picture of the tag and serial number for comparison for me? Thanks

BakerCollector

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I'm not a Thompson expert by any means but just want to point out there does exist a United sold engine built by Thompson. The difference is the hopper lip. Other than that they are identical engines. Here are two examples. The lip around the top is a UMA and the flat top is a Thompson Tiger. Serial number should be 4 digits either way. Likely in the 4000-6000 range.