• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Thomson-Houston Dynamo

Fred Prichard

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
Here is one I owned back before digital cameras were around. It came with a very large black slate switchboard complete with all gauges etc. My very first quality sideshaft ( about a 3 HP Hamilton) came from the same barn. In those days new things came along about every week so both were traded off for new toys. Fred

Attachments

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Here is one I owned back before digital cameras were around. It came with a very large black slate switchboard complete with all gauges etc. My very first quality sideshaft ( about a 3 HP Hamilton) came from the same barn. In those days new things came along about every week so both were traded off for new toys. Fred
Hi Fred, Thanks for sharing and I sure prefer the picture of it on the left by far...Let me know if you ever hear of one come up forsake please..

m_thompson

Registered
There is a large one at the NEWSM.org connected to an Armington-Sims steam engine. I can take some pictures of it the next time I visit.

OttoEngineMan

Registered
If anyone is aware of possibly a original condition one forsale I sure would appreciate a heads up about it. I really like the looks of the ARC Lighting ones too. Was lucky to find several really nice Biplor motors at Coolspring last week..

t6299fm

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/12/2012
I have a TH lighting Dynamo 6kw 125 volt. That is similar to the one pictured. It is placarded at 2200 rpm.....FAST for 1885. I will restore it one day as a companion to the Edison 6KW

t6299fm

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/12/2012
Be careful with that thing...There are 20 Edison's for every Thompson Houston

diggin4s

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
The Edmonton Power Historical Foundation has this Thomson Houston generator, was to have been originally from OHIO, note the ephf.ca Edison & Thomson Houston are being "motored" for display purposes as that our building footprint has no provision for suitable drivers & we are unwilling to run these units at or about original rpm's, unit weight is 4400 lbs & the "ball" armature is approx 675 lbs, the control panel is a slate re-purposed panel from 1915 Edmonton Power Plant

https://www.ephf.ca/Blog.asp?id=100&title=Thomson-Houston-1880s-Dynamo-Generator

Last edited:

diggin4s

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Looks nearly identical to the one at the NEWSM.
The NEWSM unit is 28 light, the EPHF unit is 30 KVA DC output & 4400 lbs, EPHF got what was available in area & were advised to pursue a Thomson Houston, EPHF would have been happier to have had a Thomson Houston AC version of what was run in 1891 for the Edmonton, North West Territories street light system but it had a 1000 volt output & required 1000 to 52 volt transformers which likely went to WW1 metal salvage a EPHF volunteer created a full scale display model of the AC unit TH Paul collis replica copy.jpg