• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Tips 4 Cylinder Engine Adventure

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
On Valentines day JR and I went down to Leander, TX (278miles one way) and removed the flywheel from a Tips engine made in Austin , TX. It came out of a cotton gin in Maynard, TX many years ago and has been setting outside since. This engine is close to scrap but I am going to try to save it as it may be the only 4 cylinder Tips left. The flywheel weighs 2,000 lbs and the crank diameter is 5 inches. After the wheel came off using a 50 ton porta power and a 20 jack, we dug around the skid and found the engine had been setting here so long it had sunk 6 inches in the black dirt.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Tips 4 cylinder engine adventure

Fast forward to Feb, 27th. We took the big truck and trailer plus my 1 ton truck and trailer and headed back to Leander. The engine owner had cribbed the engine up in the air 38 inches so all we had to do was back the trailer under it and start cribbing down. Bad news showed up when I looked under the engine and found hard water had been in one of the main bearing oil reservoir. Like I said this engine is close to being scrap but I hope to save it.

We cribbed the engine down and got it loaded on the trailer with very little problems. Once we got the engine out on hard ground we backed the Volvo totter home under it and loaded the flywheel, mufflers, and a piece of I beam for another protect.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Tips 4 cylinder engine adventure

last of the pics I took. As usual on Friday I forgot to take any pics of the unloading. JR will have to add some of his pics to complete the story. After everything was chained down and money changed hands the engine owner ran us down to the local pizza place where we ordered to go. Brought it back to the Volvo and ate it with a cold adult beverage. Man that beer sure was good after a hard day of work. We laid down for a nap about 8pm and set the alarm for 10:30. No traffic and cool roads on the way home! We pulled in the driveway at 4:00am on Friday morning. JR hooked the red dodge to the trailer for the short trip from Tatum to my house. We crossed the scales at 34,290 lbs GVW. Sure clad the DOT guys were asleep. The engine with skids attached weighs 17,500 lbs. Now the fun begins.

I could not have done this without the help of JR. He is a true engine friend and is always fun to go on engine trips with. I'm sure JR will get even somewhere down the road, when he says load up I'll be in the seat!

Attachments

OrgWayne

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/22/2017

Are the washtubs worth any thing ?/!

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2015

want to see more photo's of the toterhome.
SWEET rig:D:D:D

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019

Nice score Dwayne. :D

Will you be building a lean-to onto your lean-to to cover it?:shrug:

Todd Hodges

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/01/2020

I think you can have it running for your crank-up in April if you hurry

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Tips 4 cylinder engine adventure

Are the washtubs worth any thing ?/!
The wash tubs are a perfect fit over the heads. They are not vintage as they were bought a few years ago at a hardware store in an effort to keep the water out.

want to see more photo's of the toterhome.
SWEET rig
Yes that toterhome is one sweet ride. It didn't even hardly notice the load where as the 1 ton was grunting! JR even lets me drive it out on the open road where I don't have to shift to many gears.:D It is an 18 speed, that is too many holes for me.

Nice score Dwayne. :D

Will you be building a lean-to onto your lean-to to cover it?:shrug:
Thanks Bob, Are you guys gonna make it down again this year for my gas-up? I think if the Tips is made to run it will get a new building big enough to put the Tips 2 cylinder and the Tips gasoline horizontal in. Kind of like a mini Tips museum.

I think you can have it running for your crank-up in April if you hurry
Todd, I might have it running if you loaned me Jake for a few weeks. Problem is he has to go to school and I have to work to much. Plus I'm not sure I could afford the food bill. I know how much teen age boys eat.:eek:

Todd Hodges

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/01/2020

Thanks Bob, Are you guys gonna make it down again this year for my gas-up? I think if the Tips is made to run it will get a new building big enough to put the Tips 2 cylinder and the Tips gasoline horizontal in. Kind of like a mini Tips museum.

Todd, I might have it running if you loaned me Jake for a few weeks. Problem is he has to go to school and I have to work to much. Plus I'm not sure I could afford the food bill. I know how much teen age boys eat.:eek:
spring break is coming up in a couple of weeks you can have Jake then I know he would enjoy now I know why you didn't come to Temple or Granbury

TimM

Registered

Dwayne its not even close to being junk! Coolspring is as far as i usualy go but if you get that Tips running i would come to TX. It would be nice to see some new country.

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019

Thanks Bob, Are you guys gonna make it down again this year for my gas-up?
Can't do it this year. Gonna be busy with a big project at work in April, and we just ran off to the Florida Flywheelers show a couple weeks ago.

But we will try to get down there again in the next few years to check out the TIPS museum.

Thanks for the invite, Bob

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Thanks for posting the pics, JR. I sure wish it would warm up enough I could fill all the mains and cylinders with used oil so they could start soaking. If it ever warms up here I will take a few picks of the good and the bad that a quick look yielded. When I took the bolts loose on the intake port cover for #1 about two cups of water ran out. Sure wish this engine had been under a shed the last 30 years or so.

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2015

Really nice ride J R.
Even has a slide out. SWEET

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Yeah, that slide out sure makes for more room. When JR gets sent to the dog house for buying another engine he don't have to rough it too much.
It sure is nice to be running down the interstate about 70 and the co pilot goes in the back and makes a pot of coffee.

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Thanks for the complements. I went and looked at a three cyl Tips today. It is a basket case with missing parts. Not yet available but I will keep my eye on it.

PTraubert

eMail NOT Working

U got stones for the basket/lost cases.

Too bad steam in the bush is not as common or I would be doing the same.

Patrick - Coming to you from Quito , Ecuador

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Wow Patrick, what the heck are you doing in Ecuador? That sure is a long way from home. Have you found any engines down there? Tips had a sales agent down in Mexico and central America back in the twenties.