• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Tire Resistant Wood Coating

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
I put 2 coats of polyurethane on the wood deck of my trailer. It seems not to like the tires on my tractor. It leaves tire prints embedded in the polyurethane..Is there a coating I can put on it the is tire resistant??

Attachments

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Re: Tire resistant wood coating

Fred, How long a dry time was allowed? Was it exterior Poly?

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019

Dry time was about 3 1/2 days the first time. When I reloaded the tractor for the 2nd time it was 2 weeks. Now I have 2 sets of tire prints. It says on the can high traffic oil based.. Maybe I used the wrong stuff..Here is a pic of the polyurethane can and the tire print on the deck. You can read the tire size... Also wanted to add I put a light pine stain on before the polyurethane..

Attachments

Last edited:

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/03/2019

That polyurethane sounds like the right stuff to have used. I suppose a thin coating is what you need to minimize the impression. Will it be slick if its wet?

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

I could be wrong, but, I'd try a coat of (spelling) Helsman's exterior Poly U.

Donkeypull

Registered

Come on, don't beat the guy up for having the nicest trailer :bonk: Looking at the 1st pic my impression was nice looking trailer. Then I seen the 2nd set of pics, the close up with the can on it and now I feel for you. I can clearly see the track marks and WOW, what a finish. I'd be upset as well, I mean, look at that finish and the can is marked high traffic :rant:

Id like to get a hold of that stuff, is that one coat? I used Man O War on my park benches, used Cypress, of coarse I'm not parking a tractor on it either :rolleyes:

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019

Floor finish "high traffic" is much different than tire traffic. I would think any of the poly products will leave tire marks. The shine is buildup and the buildup is what holds the tire impression. Try just a stain without the shine.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019

Id like to get a hold of that stuff, is that one coat? I used Man O War on my park benches, used Cypress, of coarse I'm not parking a tractor on it either :rolleyes:
I purchased this Varathane product at Menards. I probably should have just used stain? I was more worried about oil getting on it and leaving dark spots. It is a Ford tractor and it does mark it's territory... ;) It looks like some sort of reaction between the poly and the tire. It is a new trailer and I just wanted to keep it looking good. Kinda fancy with hydraulic dove tail and landing jacks (with wireless remote), 32 ft. with extra tool box and winch plate. No winch yet. It will spend most of it's life in the barn.. Thanks for all the reply's..

It is 2 coats.

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Fred, unfortunately I don't know finish to use, but I do know that you have a really nice trailer! I wish I had one like it. I don't blame you for trying to keep it looking new.
I think I would check with a paint store and see what they recommend, Sherwin Williams makes some good industrial coatings.

jgreen416

Registered

You might consider using an epoxy coating such as the type sold for garage floors. Works well for Nascar garage floors. Fairly pricey at close to $200 per gallon. Supposed to resist tire marking. Good luck.
JG

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010

Even at a couple weeks dry time, it is still curing. I did a table top with uv vynalester, 7 coats, wet sanded between coats. Final coat was clear automotive clear coat, wet sanded, and polished. Looks like glass shiny. A year later it's showing a slight wood grain, as the varnish keeps shrinking back over time. It's stable now, and the only cure now is to wet sand and polish again.
At work when we do wood work on boats, that's pretty much the process, The next season gets the final coat and it is usually pretty stable by then. With tires it may be different, as the chemicals may not play well together.

Cornpone

Registered

If I put jig tails in a hurry into my fishing tackle box they will eat my plastic bobbers. Rubber is a natural product. Tend to use natural with natural

MSchreiber

Subscriber

Varathane is the best product u could use. Its used by all prefinished flooring manufacturers. A lot of variables involved here… green treated lumber, long cure times, humidity/temp. I used wood penetrating epoxie to encapsulate raw wood 4 best protection in my boat and furniture projects. If urs was applied to thick without being drawn into the grain cured it'll prolly begin peeling off later on.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

You might also find that the finish is not compatible with the stain! I made an engine mount, and stained it. It looked great. I put on 2 thin layers of varnish, 3 days apart, and they took forever to harden. Seems the varnish leached out the stain, which then diluted and softened the varnish. A catch 22 if I evee saw one! I finally had to strip and sand back to bare wood, and just varnish with Spar Var marine varnish. Let dry a week and no problems after that.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019

The trailer has been setting in the barn since last October. So I will see if it has cured more and maybe it won't do it? Thanks everyone for the reply's... Fred

Mikey NY

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2016

if the wood on the trailer is yellow pine, it will take longer to absorb the stain you put on first. Maybe the stain was not set up completely before you applied the poly. I think with time it will be ok. good luck.