Titan Generator Questions

Handyhiker1

I picked up a Titan 8000 High Performance generator and can't really find much info about them. I did download an owners manual.
I can't seem to find much info other then they are a Chinese built unit. From what I have found, they are a copper wound generator end and supposed to be a heavy duty unit. Just can't seem to find out much info either good or bad. Just looking for any info or experience that anyone has about these.
The unit I bought looks to be a low hour unit but is missing a few parts.
Thanks for any info!!

Wayne 440

...and supposed to be a heavy duty unit....The unit I bought looks to be a low hour unit but is missing a few parts...
I guess a lot of it depends on who is making the supposition - I would not ever classify one as heavy duty.

I generally do not work on Chinese sets, but have seen several in the condition you describe. They look "new", but have one or more parts missing.

Handyhiker1

As for the Heavy Duty, I am just going by the lables on the generator and the weight of it. It is a heavy unit.
For the units with missing pieces, I am staering to understand. I have tried to call there parts department and get a message that the mail box is full and can not except any messages. I have been looking for parts on line and found after market parts but no original equipment ones. I just hope I can find what is needed to get it all back together and working.
Luckly it was cheap enough that I won't get hurt too bad even if I part it out.

Handyhiker1

Had a chance to work on the Titan a little bit. Very confused at the findings.
1 -The paint on the top of the unit is faded some.
2 - the fuel guage is bad and let water into the fuel tank. The bottom is rusty but not real bad.
3 - Removed the generator end cover and all the windings and internal parts look new. No dirt or dust at all.
4 - The spark plug is new, never been in a running engine.
5 - There are no gaskets on the carburetor or adapter plate.
6 - There is no oil in the crankcase.
7 - Removed the valve cover and there is no oil in the head and it all looks new. Like it has never ran.
8 - The choke vaccum pull off is locked up and won't move.
9 - The screen tower on the fuel tank valve is gone.
10 - There is a T style plug in the generator end with 2 yellow wires that has no place to plug into. There were 2 wires taped in it and run through the vents in the end cover but go noware.
11 - One wire by the low oil senser is unplugged without anything to plug into.
12 - Pull rope looks new.
13 - Muffler is missing.
14 - The air filter housing is off and the filter element is missing along with mounting bolts and nuts.
15 - Fuel tank mounting bolts are missing.
These are a few of the findings. This is why it leaves me scratching my head. There is no doubt it has sat outside for some time in the weather. Run time seems like zero. Parts are missing. I just don't know what to make of these findings.

Handyhiker1

It was robbed for parts, probably.
That is my guess as well. The strange thing is all the parts that have been removed, at least that I have figured out so far, I have ordered on line at reasonable prices. Got almost all coming for less then $60. About the only thing left to get is the capacitor for the generator.

Handyhiker1

I noticed something odd about this generator. It says it is 8000 watt rated continuous with 8400 watt surge. However it only has 1- 240 volt outlet rated 30 amps or 1- 110 volt twist lock rated 20 amps or 2- 110 volt srandard outlets rated 20 amps each. Then in a different part of the book it states that it is rated for 25 amps at 240 volts.
So you can't pull the 8000 watts on any one voltage. The more I look at this thing the more it has me scratching my head.
I need to pick up some bolts and nuts and figure out a few things but might be able to try starting it this weekend.
This thing is just odd.

Wayne 440

I noticed something odd...it is 8000 watt rated continuous with 8400 watt surge....different part of the book it states that it is rated for 25 amps at 240 volts....This thing is just odd.
FYI- my experience (yours may vary) is that most of those knock off one lung diesel sets are actually good for 3500-4000w on their best day.

Note that the overseas maker will probably put any rating sticker on that is asked for.

I have zero experience with the gasoline versions other than walking past a few broken ones.

len k

Subscriber
When I first started looking for gens I saw one gen, might have been Titan. Price seemed reasonable at $300-400. Few months later see same name gen for $600, then few months later $900 and so on till it was ~ $1500

Sounds like the gens that come from china, hundreds in shipping containers maybe 50% work.

Handyhiker1

I know it is China built and not kidding myself. I just like to learn more about generators in general so I pick up, fix and sell some China ones. I try to never have that much in them that I can't recoup on parts sales.
I just find it interesting that unless people really figure out the amps/volts/watts, this is a useless rating on the generator. Most folks would expect the manufacturer to list the actual usable watts.
The old days, you bought a 4000 watt generator and it would put out 4000 watts all day long, now you buy a 4000 watt generator and should expect it to put out 75-80% of the rated output. I have been able to get some clones to pull 90-95% of rated load for extended load tests. It does require some work and no way right out of the box. Also, my extended load tests are not 12-24 hour tests, they are more in the 2-3 hour window.
Actually going to test a 3000 watt Snap-on today that I finished up last night.

What is funny is I test my stock Onans at 110% of rated output, stock clones at about 80% and modified at 90-95%.

Wayne 440

@Handyhiker1 - I crossed over to the dark side in a moment of weakness and actually bought a "6500 watt" Chinese generator with the pull rope broken and carb gummed up so much that the choke and throttle plates would not move.

Much to my amazement, after freeing up the carb plates and a repair of the rope, it started with a shot of starting fluid. After some wheezing, it took off on the old gasoline left in the tank since who-knows-when and actually made 120v power.

I think it might be worth changing the oil in. ;)

Handyhiker1

I know this is an old thread but looking at this generator again after just leaving it sit in the basement for the last year. I must admit that I got a little discouraged when I could not find needed info on it. Searching again on line, I actually did find a wiring diagram. Also found where the vacuum line hooks to.
So now I have gained a little interest in it again. So hopefully I will have enough information now to get it back together. I checked and it does have spark so now to figure out the wires and mount the carburetor and see what happens.

Wayne 440

FWIW, the Chinese set I had turned out to run OK and (just barely) produce rated power.
I put some fresh gasoline in it, ran it for an hour or so, then listed it for sale. About 3 days later it left with its new owner, making both of us happy.

Handyhiker1

Had some time today to work on the generator. Got most of it back together but then found out that the wire diagram I have is the wrong one. I still have one wire that I don't know where it goes. Also not sure if the other wires are all connected correct.
I still need to get an in line fuel filter with step barbs because the carburetor takes a 3/16 fuel line and the pet cock is 1/4 or 5/16. The other thing that still needs to be done is the angle of the muffler when bolted tight to the engine, throws off the other mounting holes.
Got a few pictures of the generator back together and decided to call it a day.

Attachments