• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

To Be or Not to Be......a Subscriber

To Be or Not to Be...a Subscriber

• I am a Paid Subscriber

Votes: 99 76.7%
  • I Need to Pay my Subscription

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I don't care about the benefit of editing my posts

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don't need more room to post my photos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like seeing advertisements all over the threads

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I didn't know it was that easy

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I keep forgetting....

Votes: 8 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
I've "blown" my "Thanks" already this morning. This is the most entertaining part of my 59.3 year "career" in steam engine operation. I too, have to say, there's little I do regarding steam that is as entertaining. I subscribed to IMA and Steam Engines (defunct long ago) in 1954, Engineers & Engines, Steam Traction, and now Iron Age. This is the most interactive part of it. While the engines are drained, the handholes out, dried out and frost trying to form on them, this is still "active steam." I love it. Our magazine editors may see this as a distraction from sending them articles?:shrug::O Thanks for the venue, Harry!

Jeff Wahl

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
My problem is I forget when I last paid my subscription dues. I probably could check my paypal history or should put a reminder in my calendar for paying dues the 1st of every year.

I'm still listed as a Subscriber, but I'm sure I'm past due. So I just donated $20 for this past year. Best $20 I'll spend all year!!!

Everyone should consider how much they RECEIVE from Smokstak and Enginads and GIVE a little back.

LAKnox

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016
Joe K.
Congratulations! You get to be GREEN instead of orange/yellow now!:D

As soon as Harry gets you upgraded, an "EDIT" button will appear for you to make corrections or add more thoughts.

Peter,

The poll/thread isn't intended to offend, only provide some facts and a perhaps a reminder since Harry doesn't send an invoice. Given the large number who view this site, I was shocked so few had subscribed. Subscription is voluntary.

The Moderators pay their $20 just like the rest. Sincere appreciation to all who have renewed or upgraded.

Beth
Beth, I noticed someone capitalized my user name. Is that part of a paid subscription, too? :)

Lyle

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I haven't "Voted" yet, because I HOPE to be able to change my status again in the near future from "I Need to Pay my Subscription" back to "I am a Paid Subscriber".

Being in one of the extra catagories Peter mentioned with financial issues I have fallen behind a couple months but hope to be able to renew again ASAP when I have some extra funds available again.

I may try doing what Bill K "oldproff" said and maybe send $25.00 or $30.00 once I am able to do something again. Right now though, most every dime I get ends up going in the gas tank as I look for more ways to cut corners like dropping my home Internet back to 'free with pop up ads' and looking in to getting one of the 'free' cell phones and dropping the landline altogether since I need to use the library computers for most of what I do on line anymore anyway.

As has been mentioned already, this is not just 'one of', but THE Best site on the Internet with all of the information, pictures, resources, and for the most part PEOPLE to share that information & pictures with.

I've been on here since November 2008 and when I quickly reached the photo limit a within 2 1/2 - 3 years and asked about deleting some old ones to make room for more I got bumped up to subscriber status as one of the "gratis" subscribers that Harry mentioned. A short time after that I scraped together the money and paid for my sub through PayPal. I greatly appreciate Harry's helping me along with that by bumping me up to start with, and for putting up with some of my "shenanigans" in the process. I'm glad to see that Harry extended that 'gratis' assistance to 5 others as well, and I hope that like me, they too upgrade on their own ASAP.

It is money well spent..... if you can spare it, and even when it's hard to spare it.:salute:

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
This site that Harry has developed is the greatest single asset for the exchange of information on the preservation of mechanical history that exists! All areas from models to the largest pieces of vintage iron are covered and this site has contributors form all over the globe. We as restorers and historians, along with future generations, owe Harry our gratitude :salute: and if we can, our $upport.

Gary K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I sent my $20.00 back in September. I used snail mail too. It was $20.00 well spent. Thank you Harry for this wonderful website!

RTwo

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
OK I must be dense. Took me almost six minutes to figure out how to subscribe. Now when do I get the secret handshake?

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I have been a moderater for about as long as I have been on the Stak. I gained my sponser status by sending in more than the average bear here on the Stak, and by acting as moderater on several forums. Money well spent, not only for the information and comraderie but for the effort Harry puts into the site.
Andrew

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Craig, Is there anyway to post this thread on other forums, so all can participate?
Sure is....... :brows:

It might help to give some basic info as far as what is involved,cost and labor wise, in running a website.Perhaps more folks that are able to would send in funds and help,once they see how it is used .
If the actual fiqures are something that needs to be kept private,use examples. Like,Server cost around X per month.
just a thought.
I just had a nice chat with da BOSS....... :brows:
We'll provide some information about the costs and tribulations of what it takes to run this animal shortly....... ;)

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Here are are some facts about running this site.
Server costs, which include the actual web traffic bandwidth and hard drive RAM, among other things, to keep things moving right along cost $911.00 a month.
Support costs an additional $150.00 per month which comes to $12,732 a year.......for now.
Add to that the periodic cost of software updates.

Bear in mind Harry also rewrites some of the code to make this site what it is.....safe and secure. :brows:
I've seen screen shots of the site Administrator's Control Panel.......it makes the cockpit of a 767 look like child's play....... :eek:
Raw numbers are only the tip of the iceberg though.
Most of Harry's time is taken up personally screening EVERY SINGLE NEW USER to be sure they are who they say they are and fighting spammers, phishers, bots and scammers.
In addition to that there are websites dedicated to the purpose of hacking websites "just because".
They have their own forums where they brag about the sites they have hacked.
THIS site is not one of them....... :)

Nothing on the internet is free.
There is no such thing as free bandwidth.
You pay for it one way or another be it via popup or popunder ads or website trackers gleaning every bit of information they can glean to bombard you with more ads.

Can you think of a single publication to which you can subscribe for $20 a year much less be there 24/7/365?....... :shrug:

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
I became a subcriber years ago...
Just seemed like the right thing to do as well as a bargain.
I shop all the local mom & pop shops I can.
I drive right past Wal Mart to support my small town shops.
Support of a good cause will keep it alive for all of us.
Harry's site and all the helpful moderators are a made in the USA super good deal that has gone global with excellent results.
The collective knowledge, friends, and tech info here is worth more than $20.00 a year!
Thanks everyone and good luck on your projects!
Tony

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Should add one; those that had no idea what it took to keep up a fantastic site like this..........that would be me.:wave:
An eye opener, good thread, i'll try, thanks.

SproutW

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Being an administrator and moderator of another site, I can fully appreciate the constant bombardment Harry must face from spammers and the like. A lot of work and well worth my $20. Heck, that's cheaper than most magazine subscriptions I subscribe too.

Harry and all the moderators. Thanks for all your work that goes into this site. It shows :brows:

BMyrkle

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/13/2020
Just paid my subscription.

I agree with everyone praising this site for being the most important and useful website on the Internet supporting this hobby and all aspects of it.

I know how useful it is for everyone, because just about every time I refer someone here for information, they already know about Smokstak and tell me they've visited many times.

This past summer I saw a lady chasing a young guy around a show with a camera, trying to get a photo. He kept saying, 'no, no, no . . . it'll end-up on Smokstak!'

Anyway . . . thanks Harry for a great site!

Status
Not open for further replies.