• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Tom Senior Simplex 1/10hp.

skankingiant

Registered
Picked up this little Tom Senior Simplex. These were sold as casting sets starting in the 1920s and were advertised as an engine for work rather than a model. This is a size 2 of 1/10hp.
It's got its issues but I managed to get cheap off of eBay... got to love items that have been listed wrong....

IMG_20190730_174631 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

IMG_20190730_174734 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

IMG_20190730_175230 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

IMG_20190730_175321 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

IMG_20190730_175336 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers, Steve

skankingiant

Registered
That's a beauty! Post a vid when you get it running.
TVM! might be a while, crank has a nice wobble in it atm.
Gas is a new beast to me as I'm used to Petrol (might be confusing on an US forum....) so the setup is a new concept to me.

Also, small engine ignition, tempted to try one of these modern style CDI systems, the small form factor is attractive.

All things to think about.

Oh here is some sales info.

Tom-Senior-5 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
I have what I believe is a Tom Senior #4 , 1 7/8" B , 2 7/8" S with 9 3/4" Fws. It has some unusual things about it. It has an air intake and a gas intake and exhaust. Three valves. The cam pushes a rod connected to a lever. The action is transmitted to the inside under the base to a lever and rod on the underside , then a rod to the rocker arm for the exhaust. The side of the base is arched open not straight across like the ones in the pictures. I have tried to run it on propane and had it running for a couple of minutes then die and can't get it started again. I an now making a gasoline carb for it. I hope that works. Ron

skankingiant

Registered
I have what I believe is a Tom Senior #4 , 1 7/8" B , 2 7/8" S with 9 3/4" Fws. It has some unusual things about it. It has an air intake and a gas intake. The cam pushes a rod connected to a lever. The action is transmitted to the inside under the base to a lever and rod on the underside , then a rod to the rocker arm for the exhaust. The side of the base is arched open not straight across like the ones in the pictures. I have tried to run it on propane and had it running for a couple of minutes then die and can't get it started again. I an now making a gasoline carb for it. I hope that works. Ron
Hi Ron,

Don't suppose you have a picture? Most Tom Seniors looked very similar, Simplex all had pushrods and the Superior was side shaft.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
I can't post pictures , connection problems! Can I send them to you and have you post them. I sent an email. Ron

Last edited:

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Steve That sure worked great! I bought it a couple of years ago. There was a problem with the push rod levers and the pictures were taken while I was working on it. I have never seen another #4 or even pictures of one. I have the book British Stationary Engines and never found anything else that looks like this one. Ron