• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Took a Little Trip over the Weekend seen Lots of Mountains and...30 hp Case

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
This thing Followed me home... I had bought it about 2 months ago and didn't have much luck getting a ride for it....

So I Contacted The Kendo and Ben Hadd Jr Moving Company and got it back here. I Figured if Mike McKnight could Recieve most of a 60 Case on a car trailer it could work for me too...

Attachments

Last edited:

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Re: Took a Little Trip over the Weekend seen Lots of Mountains and...

Ken, I'm glad to see that you got your "project" back home safe! It looks like it fits on your trailer just right. That should help you have a little more "fun" with it after it is restored. Are you going to put the modified ;) valve gear on it?

Gee Ken,
With a little engine like that, you can put a flatbed and duals on your Model TT and haul it right there. Ben said that was possible, or at least that's what his very good friend Mike McKnight told me anyway.

That's a slick looking engine. Is it marked 9 or 30?
Gary;)

Ken Majeski

Subscriber

Well.. Unfortunately the Tag has been Lost... I would geuss when it sat abandoned by the Mine for the last 50 years somebody stold it. The Waters Governor is also Missing.... But I have a plan for that...

For Chuck and the other guys the Boiler Number is 10318 and the cylinder dated 12 - 5 - 08. I would geuss it to be a 1909 model. I should ask for a price adjustment as it was billed as a 1910... :(

For Roger I have a lot more things to worry about than the valve gear for now.... But Yes if I live long enough it will have the Improved Valve Gear

The photo brings New meaning to the Term StayBolt... Wonder what the Boiler Police would say about that...:eek:

Yes Guys I bought a Steam Engine without even Looking at it...:( But when you consider it was priced at the Bottom end of the Rynda engines I thought I could live with that.... I was rather happy when the check was Cashed...:)

Attachments

Beth V

Nice save Ken. It will be nice to see it running again!

Just when you think most of the engines have been "rescued" another appears!

Post more pictures of your journey & how much fun it was to pull it on the trailer.

Beth

Mark L. Jordan

The photo brings New meaning to the Term StayBolt... Wonder what the Boiler Police would say about that...
I can't see the picture too well, but it looks like a threaded rod witha square nut...?

Actually, it could be considered legal.:brows:

In some applications, a threaded stay rod with washers and nuts placed on the outside (and sometimes inside) of the sheet is allowed, and designed as such. Think about the through stays on CASE engines.

Obviously, the nut cannot be on a surface facing the fire, or flame impingement, as it would burn off......

No, I'm not saying to keep it,.....please fix it right.

Good luck!

Boiler Police in KY

Mark L. Jordan

Based on your pictures, I want to see it pulling a 5 bottom plow in those mountains.....:rolleyes::confused::D

OldironJeff

Ken ,I thought you were weening ofa steam.
Guess you needed a new challenge.:faint:

Ken Majeski

Subscriber

The guy told me that it was used on a small sawmill to square mine timbers. But it has seen quite a bit of traction work as the Left side bull pinion and front wheels are worn out. The rest of the gears look pretty decent. He said it wasn't scrapped in WW2 as it was stuck in the Mud and they couldn't get it out of where it was...

He bought it at a small local auction where the mine remains were sold about 6 years ago about 6 miles of where I picked it up at New Castle Colorado. It had sat in an Old Gas Station on Main Street for the last 6 years just 1/4 mile from I 70... I just cranked truck off and winched it on while parked on the side of US Hwy 6...

I was Very Close the the Max GVW of the trailer and didn't want to take it through Denver traffic or the scales on I 70 so decided to take a route through Craig (Yes Craig, Craig) Colorado and believe me there isn't enough space to tell about that escapade here.... A guy chased us down in Craig and as being we had a Steam Engine wanted to show us his so we stoped at his Museum where he had a 2 Cylinder Frick, 20 - 40 Case, Happy Farmer, Old General Store, and other antiques. He said he also had a Case but it was stored elswhere...

About every place I stopped for Fuel there were Questions and more Questions...

And For Mark.... You should have seen the Belly Patch on that Frick...:eek: Yes the term Stay Bolt is Correct as they are just old Hardware square bolts with square nuts...

At this time I don't plan on using the boiler but I am going to take a few UT readings before what happens is etched in stone...

Last edited:

Andrew Walker

Subscriber

A sentiment we've all felt, I'm sure: had to smile when I noticed you had named your jpeg's of the Case "hopeless" :D.

-Andrew....

Colin

Hey- good buy. :brows: how did you find out about it. looks like its mostly complete.
Chuck will have to chime in on his thoughts of a Serial #. i looked in the book and they didn't make very many in 1908. only one batch of tractions(20121-20158). and one loner #19575. and one compound. but Also interesting that 1909 is a carbon copy. one batch, one loner, one compound. each year had some portables made as well. im guessing an 09 since we've always believe they let the castings lay awhile. Is the date, day- month- year?

I spent a good part of my life working out of Glenwood Springs, I had work in Glenwood, Carbondale, Rifle and finally Delta Colorado, I flew my self and parents back there in june to final out the job, we wanted to go to Steamboat springs and I decided to go thru Meeker and the White River Forest, I got Lost but saw a UPS truck ahead and I put the hammer down and followed him thru terain, corners, sharp drop offs and close collisions with boulders and sheep, the faster I followed him the faster he went, I wonder what he was thinking I was going to do, we Finally made it to 40 and into steam boat springs, having said that you deserve an even bigger ataboy for the travel thru that area and I cannot imagine a much worse passage other than Eisenhower pass on I70, I do miss the Hot springs hope you had time to enjoy the area other than the Local Gas Stations

Chuck Sindelar

In Memory Of

Well.. Unfortunately the Tag has been Lost... I would geuss when it sat abandoned by the Mine for the last 50 years somebody stold it. The Waters Governor is also Missing.... But I have a plan for that...

For Chuck and the other guys the Boiler Number is 10318 and the cylinder dated 12 - 5 - 08. I would geuss it to be a 1909 model. I should ask for a price adjustment as it was billed as a 1910... :(

For Roger I have a lot more things to worry about than the valve gear for now.... But Yes if I live long enough it will have the Improved Valve Gear

The photo brings New meaning to the Term StayBolt... Wonder what the Boiler Police would say about that...:eek:

Yes Guys I bought a Steam Engine without even Looking at it...:( But when you consider it was priced at the Bottom end of the Rynda engines I thought I could live with that.... I was rather happy when the check was Cashed...:)
Congrats Ken on getting her home, I agree, my guess is also 1909--I have several 1909, 30s on file.
#215?? HAS boiler #10318 Yours
Engine #21582 has boiler #10344
#21597 has boiler #10376
# 21690 has boiler # 10348
#21692 has boiler # 10329
Will you have it running at your show this year. Maybe not?Does that one have any through stays from the front flue sheet to the rear head sheet. My 1907 boiler #6890 did not have any. But the 1905 boiler # 2410 that I am now useing has two.Being yours is a 30, I can continue to say that I have the only 9 in WI!

Ken Majeski

Subscriber

Thanks Guys... Looks like I have at least a few numbers to stamp on my plate when I get it...

This boiler has No Through Stays.... And Chuck I can't help but think your boiler is Something Special as it's the ONLY 9 I have seen with a triple Rivet Lap...

I looked into the Firebox tonight.... And the Crown Sheet is Badly Quilted... Kinda Sad as the Staybolts look Like New right down to the crown sheet.... But for me this was a Good thing as had the boiler been good I'm sure that little engine would have found a New Home elswhere years ago...

I also pulled the head off.... I figured with the Governor missing and years of Mouse Pee it would have been a Disaster and I had visons of Cracks and Huge Rust Pits...:eek:
I sure was suprised when I sprayed some WD 40 on it and wiped it off and it shined like a Mirror...:)

I had planned on a new boiler when I bought this but didn't want to commit myself untill it was here For Real....

Glen... if you worked at Rifle you were just a few miles from this little engine.... I know a guy that was working for an outfit that drills wells for dewatering??? oilfields..?? and he ran across this while Coyote hunting last winter.. I took that Hwy 14 From Hwy 40 by Steamboat Springs to Fort Collins.... That 180 ? Miles must have took over 6 hours... I didn't know what to think when I saw that sign that said Steep Grades Sharp turns next 25 Miles... I didn't think we would ever find the Bottom in One Piece...

Yes Andrew.... I called the Last one the Hopeless Case also... But I sure got a lot of enjoyment out of it since I got it running in 1994...

Last edited:

Pete Deets

Fantastic find Ken! Best of luck while getting it running.....PD

AndyG

I also pulled the head off.... I figured with the Governor missing and years of Mouse Pee it would have been a Disaster and I had visons of Cracks and Huge Rust Pits...:eek:
I sure was suprised when I sprayed some WD 40 on it and wiped it off and it shined like a Mirror...:)
I do believe that steam cylinder oil is one of the best metal preservatives known to man. If you can get the sticky mess off you're lible to find good metal under it. Don't even bother with a steam Jenny:bonk: Big engines are really cool and neat to watch but you gotta like one that doesn't require a lowboy to move it. Good luck with your new project.

Ken,
Is it "quilted" or really "bagged?" Does the quilting look like anything that can be taken out with a 10-ton Porta Power (20-ton would be better)? I've done it years ago. I bolted and chained an I-beam through the ash pan retainer holes in the side of the wagon top. I used a piece of 4"X4" half-inch thick aluminum to jack against and that makes it very forgivable without putting a dent into the pillow material of the crown sheet.
Gary;)

Hey- good buy. :brows: how did you find out about it. looks like its mostly complete.
Chuck will have to chime in on his thoughts of a Serial #. i looked in the book and they didn't make very many in 1908. only one batch of tractions(20121-20158). and one loner #19575. and one compound. but Also interesting that 1909 is a carbon copy. one batch, one loner, one compound. each year had some portables made as well. im guessing an 09 since we've always believe they let the castings lay awhile. Is the date, day- month- year?
Colin,
Would the 1908 still have had a flat steering wheel? Many of the Case catalog engravings show the 1908 engines having the flat steering wheel and the 1909s having dished steering wheels. I don't have a copy here at work. I vote for 1909 too.
Gary;)