• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Toro engine via China help needed

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I was given a 2014 Toro 20374 mower with the Chinese OHV engine. Its seen very little use by its homeowner over the 5 years hes owned it as his lawn is small. It started getting a bit hard to start and burning oil one day so he took it into the dealer. They changed the choke thermostat, then carb, then head gasket under warranty and it was still screwed up so he gave it to me and bought a cordless Toro. Once I pulled the valve cover to check clearances I saw the exhaust valve rocker showed signs of high heat. Pulling the engine over the valve guide was so sloppy in the head it was making the valve crooked and blowing combustion up through the crankcase which was making the breather spit oil into the air filter. After looking on parts look up it seems Toro doesnt offer a head! I hate to trash this mower. Does anyone know what brand engine head will work on this other companies source from China? Or maybe have a good head off a blown engine for sale? Thanks in advance.

Beanscoot

Registered
Is this a Honda clone engine? If so, then you may be able to use Honda replacement parts.

A picture would help identify it.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
No sadly its not. Its not even the Kohler/China junk engine they use. Its worse. I'll try and get a pic of the head and valve cover tomorrow.

Power

Registered
If you have some tools and a little skill, you could ream the guide and fit it with a bronze insert, ream that to fit valve stem. Done.

Beanscoot

Registered
When I was an apprentice machinist I did make a new valve guide for a Briggs aluminum engine out of a piece of phosphor bronze (because it was handy) which worked out fine.

I think I used a letter drill to bore it to provide the recommended clearance on the valve stem.

It's necessary to do this in a lathe to keep everything concentric.

Ed Radtke

Registered
it may have bean made by suzuki since they made the 2 cycle engine for them.as far as I know they dont sell engines here but they do sell generators.see if you can finde a pic of one.valve cover shoul be a dead give away.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Suzuki did make a 2 and 4 stroke for their mowers but that was 30 years ago. Toro did use a version of the 2 stroke in their CCR snow throwers as well. The Suzuki engines were very well built. This engine has all the earmarks of poor Chinese build quality lol