• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Toughest gas engine you've ever restored?

Mike McKnight

Registered
Howdy, all! Must say this 2 1/2 HP Famous is about the roughest engine I've worked on so far. Even though it was fairly complete, what was there was stuck and rough!

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/new-project-2-1-2-hp-ihc-famous.193028/

I've worked on some stuff that was pretty tough before now, but this one really takes the cake as far as just being an absolute rusted mess. When I told an older collector that I bought this particular engine, he told me he'd seen it before and then said "That's the rustiest piece of $h!t I've ever seen!" I then had to ask him, "Wanna bet I'll get it running?" He said, "No, Mike, I won't take your bet!" It did tickle me pink when Edgar got my 4 HP Famous running, and I had three different people tell me afterwards "We never thought we'd see that thing run again, was missing too many parts and too darn rough!" I gotta give him the credit for doing the tough work on getting it going for me-he really had his work cut out for him.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/parts-for-a-4-hp-ihc-famous.172365/

I am real happy about how the 6 HP Famous turned out, with as little as I started with. Thanks to the folks who provided help and parts.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/new-project-1905-6-hp-ihc-portable.176957/

Just curious what other folks have worked on and brought back to life that were really rough gems. Before and after pics would be awesome to see!

Mike

Holt 45

Registered
Good morning. So far I’d say my 45 horse Holt has been the most challenging, but also the most rewording. It took three engines to make one runner. But so worth it.

I’ve been working on a two cylinder New Way that is proving to be a stinker as well.

Tony Glaser

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
What engine comes to mind is a little stover K turbo (Travis) restored some 20 years ears ago. I’ll check with him to see if he still has pictures. I know that was a rough looking engine.

Inverted

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
This engine by far is not my most challenging but at the present it is becoming a real challenge. I have it running fairly good but not hitting on every cycle. It is what I call a spring engine - by changing the springs I have got it to run better but still not happy. It is a fairly rare engine made by Standard and sent only to AU and from what I have somewhat heard is that there was only a hand full made. It has a tag saying Buzacot KowalaIMG_0464.JPG - Kowala of Sydney and Brisbane.
Actually my most challenging one was a 6 HP Lauson Lawton SS PS - Don't know why I can't download pictures? when I figure it out I will post pictures

Last edited:

Brian.P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/27/2015
This is not a full scale Fairbanks N
Didn't have any plans scaled it to the flywheels I had
and looked at lot of pictures and video's

The trouble I had was some of the parts don't have lot of clearance on this style of engine
I would have had to make the body 1/2 ''wider
the cam on the timing gear to trip igniter just clears the crank had to off set the gear a bit
Had 1/4'' fight from start to end

Attachments

Last edited:

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
One of the toughest for us was a little Inter M, or as the last owner of it called it....a buggered old pump. I found it in a chook pen and who knows how long its been there. The surprising thing about this little M is that all I needed to find was the spark plug wire, muffler and oiler. The rest was there and even the magneto coils were still OK. It did take me a couple of years to bring back working a few hours near each day and a lot of full days tinkering, fixing and unseizing. 3 days off and on it took to get the crank handle off. Heat, tap tap tap, oil, heat tap, tap, tap...you get the idea

We have some other tough engines to fix but they're still been worked on. Seized pistons can take a long time to become unstuck.

Cheers Scott

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019
I thought my Mogul Jr's were/are challenging but a 1 3/4 hp Sattley throttle governed (Nelson Brothers) is worse. I thought this was a common engine and parts readily available, not the case! Apparently they only made this version a few years or the parts just aren't out there for some reason.

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

The trouble I had was some of the parts don't have lot of clearance on this style of engine
the cam on the timing gear to trip igniter just clears the crank had to off set the gear a bit
That's amazing Brian! Did you fabricate most parts from steel or did you have a lot of castings made? I have been thinking of making a tank-cooled cylinder for my 3-1/2hp Goold Shapley & Muir. Not to cheat anything, but I think the tank cooled GSM are way better looking than the hopper cooled ones. I guess it could be fabricated , but probably need a cast iron sleeve for the cylinder.

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
I have been thinking of making a tank-cooled cylinder for my 3-1/2hp Goold Shapley & Muir. Not to cheat anything, but I think the tank cooled GSM are way better looking than the hopper cooled ones. I guess it could be fabricated , but probably need a cast iron sleeve for the cylinder.
Pretty sure Wayne found a tank cooled cylinder for the one he restored (that I believe was originally a hopper cooled) so I doubt you'll be able to find another. But I'll keep an eye out for you.

J

Brian.P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/27/2015

Harry
I made it all from steel
except I used a 6 hp M piston and sleeve and the crank and flywheels are early 6 hp Gade crank gear Robertsonville Larger gear modified from Fairbanks
it is about 1200 lbs

Attachments

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Pretty sure Wayne found a tank cooled cylinder for the one he restored (that I believe was originally a hopper cooled) so I doubt you'll be able to find another. But I'll keep an eye out for you.

J
Yes, I'm sure it would be hard to find one. I have been thinking of fabricating one from steel, or make a pattern from wood and have one cast. That will be quite pricey though. However other engine projects take up all the time....

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Brian, Do you have pictures of how you welded the flange that bolts the cylinder to the engine base? I'm guessing the flange must must have been a little thicker and machined flat and straight?

Brian Triebner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Yes, I'm sure it would be hard to find one. I have been thinking of fabricating one from steel, or make a pattern from wood and have one cast. That will be quite pricey though. However other engine projects take up all the time....
What about cutting the hopper off and having a "lid" cast and brazed or stitched in place?

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
What about cutting the hopper off and having a "lid" cast and brazed or stitched in place?
Brian,
I don't want to ruin the original cylinder / hopper as they are original to the engine. I even think that if I ever find the time to make one, there should be something to tell it's not the original. It's not my intention to change history or make it more valuable as an earlier / rarer engine.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Harry, finding a hopper cooled cylinder would be a real possibility for you. Then you could do exactly what Brian suggests.