• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Toughest gas engine you've ever restored?

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Been thinking about writing a few words about my experience restoring my "8 Cycle Aermotor Engine", so here goes. I purchased the Engine as a "basket" case probably 45 yrs. ago. After cleaning it up, I kinda lost interest in it, you know how life gets in the way. It was missing a LOT of parts, No Piston, No Rod, Gear Guards were missing, No fuel Tank, No Mixer or Intake valve, Muffler Cover was Missing, It did have the pipe with the holes in it. No Grease Cups, some Igniter Linkage Missing, The Igniter was there , Thank God. Exhaust Rocker had been broken and welded, so it was a challenge.

I found a recast pulley & Exhaust Rocker Arm. I found a complete fuel system on the Internet from (I think Paul Spence) thanks Paul! I found a 3" piston in junk pile, A friend loaned me a Rod to get one cast in Brass. I had to machine the Rod after I had it cast. I machined a piston Pin for the piston, I Purchased a set of Rings. I would see an Engine at shows and ask the owner if I could take a part off his engine and trace a pattern of the Igniter Parts that was missing. My Grandson, Randy kept saying, Grandpa I want to see that engine run, If it hadn't been for him keeping after me, it probably wouldn't be running now, Ha Ha. It's easy to procrastinate at my age, (89) at the time. Got the Gear Guards from Starbolts along with the Grease Cups. I had the Drip Oiler for the Piston. We belted it up to my 1 1/2 HP JD to break the Rings in to where It would bounce back on compression and finally it started to fire once in a while, That gave us encouragement that it might RUN. It runs all day long now at shows. I use a 12 V Battery through a coil that was used on GM Air-conditioned Magnetic Clutch back in the 80's. Thanks Randy for keeping my on target

As you can see in the pictures, I didn't have much to start with but I am glad we got it running, and it does draw a lot of attention at shows being an 8 Cycle ENGINE. And we do Enjoy taking it to the Fredonia, Ks ""OLD IRON DAY's" The last full weekend in September. Well the pictures didn't make the trip. Sorry about that, I will post the pictures if I get it figured out.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
I am still not able to post the Photo of the restored Engine. I have a Photo of my 8 Cycle Aermotor after I restored it but it is in a PDF file and I suspect it is too large to post & I am not able to reduce the size. If I send it to some one in an Email too reduce the size, can someone Post it, will that work?????????? I'll try this again.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't actually started to work on it yet but I have a 5 hp Bulldog that's stuck tighter than a tick. I think I'm almost afraid to work on that huge piston, so it sits in a corner of my shop patiently waiting. Might just have to get to work on it this summer.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
I am still not able to post the Photo of the restored Engine. I have a Photo of my 8 Cycle Aermotor after I restored it but it is in a PDF file and I suspect it is too large to post & I am not able to reduce the size. If I send it to some one in an Email too reduce the size, can someone Post it, will that work??????????