• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Tracking Down all Fairbanks Plug Oscillator Engines

hitmissfan

Registered
I'm going to be trying to establish a list of all known plug oscillator Fairbanks engines. It seems that there are not that many of them around any more. I currently own a 1 1/2 hp. it was the 1st engine that I'd ever purchased and helped captivate my interest in buying more engines. With how few plug oscillators i see around I'd like to create a list with all known engines. please include the size and serial number. any interesting notes about your engine as well. photos are appreciated too.

thank you

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
I have a very nice shape 1918 6hp one.
I'll get pics and stuff some day for you

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I have a 1917 3hp with a rotary Sumter magneto. SN#256916. They seem to be even less common than the plug oscillators.

Gasengin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2019
The 1 1/2 hp plug oscillator engines are fairly rare. But in my area, the 3 and 6 are fairly common. I have 3 hp P/O and a 6 with rotary mag.

This is my 3 hp. First time out in many years so it is pretty dusty.

Attachments

jbo.aermotor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I have a 1918 3hp plug oscillator on an original factory cart. ser. #353217 I found it in a barn near King City Ca., About 40 yrs ago.The man I got it from used it too grind feed and pump water. He was 80yrs old and said his dad got it when he was a teenager. It is a good runner.( when you get it running.) It was my first engine.

neverfear

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
You can add a 1919 6hp s/n 362138 and a 1 1/2hp s/n 367963 to your list.
The 6hp is on a Rock Island cart.

Attachments

David Rush

Registered
I have 1- 11/2hp 1-6hp 1-6 hp igniter gear drive mag and 2- 3hp parts engines but wood have to dig them out for sn all for sale

---------- Post added at 08:13:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04:45 PM ----------

looking for fairbanks fuel mixer for 4hp H HIT N MISS AND 6HP H complete orany parts

hitmissfan

Registered
Wayne,
It appears my thanks button has disappeared! that tank cooled plug oscillator is rather unusual all that I have seen out here are the hopper cooled. any idea how many were made compared to the hopper cooled? It's a great piece.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Harry took this picture in 1999 of my 1916, 10hp, Special Electric, s/n 190800.
https://www.old-engine.com/afshow.htm
As the date says 2001. That was back when ISPs were hammering us to keep the picture size and bandwidth down or they would raise our monthly rates.

Now my server has 1 Terabyte of bandwidth and if I ever get time, I can increase the size of my previous photos.

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Wayne,
It appears my thanks button has disappeared! that tank cooled plug oscillator is rather unusual all that I have seen out here are the hopper cooled. any idea how many were made compared to the hopper cooled? It's a great piece.
I'm not sure of how many they made and have only seen one other 3 HP tank cooled Z. I'm sure there are a few more. Of all that tank cooled Z's it seems the ones you see least are the 3,6 and 20 HP models. I'm lucky enough to have all three.