• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

traction engine events in USA 2019

gillijen

Registered
Hi all, My name is Peter Coggins, I am planning with 2 friends to visit USA this year and we wish to visit traction engine events and ride steam railways, any advice as what to see and were to go would be much appreciated, we all have traction engines in the UK and have travelled many miles with engines and as visitors to steam events all over the UK.

Thanks Peter.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Rough & tumble is one of the best and largest on the eastern USA. Last year they set a Guiness record for the most steam engines in a show - 104, if I remember correctly! They have 2 steam rail roads, one using a Shay engine it circles the show grounds, and is a pleasant ride.. The other is a smaller one that runs on a short track oval. There are many steam traction engines, and to watch the 'tractor games, is an amazing event. The way that men can control those behemoths is simply amazing. You DO need several days there to see it all! besides the railways and the traction engines, there are portables, and several buildings with full size stationary engines - all operating under live steam!

Show dates August 14-17th (Wednesday-Saturday) See their website for details.
Andrew

D Hubbard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/04/2018
I would recommend going to Rollag and two weeks later check out Forest City, Iowa.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I would recommend going to Rollag and two weeks later check out Forest City, Iowa.
A great plan, but starting this year the Forest City show is in June, so wouldn't work with either side of Rollag - unless maybe Rollag's steam school, which I'm sure already has the class itself booked.

If the 150Case is on the list of desired sights, I'd say Rollag would be a good start. But if set on Mt Pleasant instead, could maybe do Andover to catch the 150 on its home turf.

gillijen

Registered
Thanks for all the links, is there a guide to what's on were and when for steam in USA.

Thanks Peter

---------- Post added at 01:08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04:46 AM ----------

thanks for all the info, is there a guide to what's on and when for steam related events.
Thanks again Peter

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Thanks for all the links, is there a guide to what's on were and when for steam in USA.

Thanks Peter

---------- Post added at 01:08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04:46 AM ----------

thanks for all the info, is there a guide to what's on and when for steam related events.
Thanks again Peter

I would surgest getting a copy of the Farm Collector magazine show directory wich is put out each year

https://www.farmcollector.com/store/product-category/farm-collector-show-directory