• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Tractors By Goold, Shapley & Muir

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Tom, there is one about 3-1/2 hours east of you!;)
There are a few 22 hp side shaft opposed engines around - the 6-1/2x9 hopper cooled types. I am guessing 10-12? There is one 22 hp tank cooled abuilding right now.There is also one tractor, rated at 24-12. There is one 8x10 portable and three 8x10 tractors (35 hp), that we know of. There are two 9-1/2x13 (50-60 hp) portables that we know of and one is going into a tractor as we speak.
I have not given up hope that other tractors will be found. From photos and testimonials, there were a fair number sold, especially in western Canada. I am not sure whether there are any parts piles - I certainly had no luck on that score when looking for parts for the 35-22 tractor. I have my name on a front axle and wheels for a 35 and have access to carbs and fuel pumps, so there is a start for another one!:) I have a strong feeling there is a 35 hp hopper cooled tractor still in the wilds "Out West"!
From testimonials and reminiscences, there were a few of the 50-60 hp portables here in Ontario in mills. Most of those ran on local ground-sourced natural gas. The one that was at Crosby for years was one such engine. The one going into the tractor was found in a quarry as a pump engine. I helped a friend bring home a clutch pulley off one many years ago, but there were no other parts there and that yard is leveled now. Where that pulley came from, they ran a feed mill. The owner said it was stamped 60 hp.
I have lost track of the Beaver tractors. They still keep coming out of the brush piles in western Canada. There is one abuilding just east of here in NY. There might be 12-15 extant?
For a relatively small company, GS&M made a lot of stuff. Engines keep showing up. I got a 4hp Type K last fall, and hope to build a portable unit with that engine, a GS&M grain grinder and bagging attachment. There is talk of having a GS&M reunion at a location, still undisclosed, in 2021. I think they could be surprised at what would come out - from wind pumps to tractors!

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
That engine was saved and restored many years ago by Harold Gaddye from Binbrook, Ontario. Harold was a pioneer engine collector around here and a very nice man. I believe he got that near Port Dover, Ontario on Lake Erie.
Was Mr Gaddye's engine from a tractor?

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Caser,
I think Mr. Gaddye got that engine from Port Dover. He told me about one being at Port Dover, at any rate. What it was used for there, I can't recall. Possibly pulling boats out of the water or in a fish plant? It was not a tractor engine.
A former neighbour, Mr. Cox, used to work for J.A. Fellows & Co. in Brantford, which took over the GS&M engine repairs. He called the boss Art Fellows. Mr. Cox' job was to service all the old wind pumps around the country. He said he had some gas engines to service too. One was a 50 horse GS&M opposed that ran a grist mill at Renton, which is just north of Port Dover. He said the village of Renton had its own natural gas wells so the Goold ran on natural gas and had a gasifier as well. He said when the mill was running full tilt, they pretty much monopolized all the gas and the housewives could not use their ovens!
So that may have been the one that Mr. Gaddye had, although I vaguely remember talking to him about that and he didn't think so.
He got two carburetors for that engine, I think from the Acadia Gas Engines Co., so he could run it on gasoline. They are the big Schebler carbs. The Withers boys may see this and have something to say, because they helped look after it at Crosby.
Mr Gaddye was a kindred spirit, because, like me, he always wanted to get a GS&M opposed tractor. He never had any luck finding one. In his later years, when he could not travel any more and knew I was going out west, he gave me a few leads. None of those panned out. Sadly, he was long gone by the time I got the 35 from Mr. Tysse and got it home.
Another friend, Mr. Edgar, told me about hearing of a GS&M opposed tractor at Scotland, just south of Brantford. This was in the 50s and he was collecting tractors then. He said he was busy with crops and cattle, and had a young family so could not get down there to find the tractor. He said when he got down later in the fall, he drove in the yard and could see the distinctive tread patterns in the ground where the tractor had sat, and assorted torched off bolts. It had just been scrapped weeks before! Too bad Mr. Gaddye had not got wind of that one. A real shame for it to be scrapped out so late, when people were already collecting tractors. Oh well, they are still scrapping some good stuff today.
I have my name on a front axle and wheels that may have come from that tractor. They are the same as on my tractor, so a 35. There was talk of another set of front wheels being around.
The 35 was a big tractor for Ontario back in the day, other than for a custom thresherman. No doubt there were a few around here. Most went to the Prairies. When I was looking for parts, I used the testimonials from Manitoba and Saskatchewan in a 1915 GS&M catalogue and found most of the farm families mentioned, but no parts. I had just missed a pair of fenders for a 35 that had been just scrapped. This was near Neepawa, Manitoba. They were the last of the old 35 and had laid in a pile on the farm. I didn't need them but it would have been nice to save them and maybe they had some lettering left on them.
I found the remains of a 5-bottom Cockshutt gang plough at Fairlight, Saskatchewan that had been sold new with a 35 GS&M. There were no parts left of the tractor. I told a friend, Mr. Alton, about the plough and he got it home. There was one bottom missing but the rest was in good shape. Great that it was saved.
One evening at the old SteamEra show, a few of us settled down over by the tractors for a beverage and a hot dog and told some tall tales. We talked about not much new stuff coming out and probably most everything had been found and we would run out of stories. Mr. Hume spoke up. He said, look around here boys, every one of these tractors and engines has a story to tell. They all helped build this country and make a living for the families that owned them. We all went silent for a minute and thought that one over.