• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Trailer finished for hauling my T and other stuff.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
It me a while to get this finished,I am a slow poke.But the frame was done 5 years ago,and I had found a defect in the axle,it got put on the back burner.Well,once I got the f150 fixed up,I put this trailer frame in the shop and decided it would not come out until useable.And strangely, the T fits on it like it was made for it! :eek::D
I will eventually put Xtrak tie down stuff on it and I still need to make a mount for a 3500 pound winch in case Ol T don't want to run!

Attachments

Charlie1925

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/03/2020
Uglyblue66; Looks like that Rig well do the job, Only thing I would say is to have two axles, not only for the weight but for a smoother ride and also if you were to haul something heavier on that trailer. Hope all works out OK. Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925 Happy camping at a tractor show. :salute:

joncrane

Registered
Very nice T. I haul my T on a single axle trailer with no problems. Just like with any trailer drive a little slower.
I put a hand winch on my trailer as I did not want to carry a battery for the occasional times I use the winch.
jon

CLARKE MAYZE

Registered
You should never ever tow a vehicle on a single axle trailer ! It is an accident waiting to happen and if an unfortunate situation arises , and lets hope it does not happen , more than likely , because of the unstable nature of such a combination , the vehicle on the trailer will be on it's roof in no time . If you blow a tyre or are involved in an accident a tandem axle trailer is far superior for stability and safety .

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I was going to agree with the tandam axel crowd, but according to google the T only weighs 1200 lbs. If that figure is corect you should be just fine IMHO!

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I was going to agree with the tandam axel crowd, but according to google the T only weighs 1200 lbs. If that figure is corect you should be just fine IMHO!
Yea this thing weighs little compared to a more modern car.This trailer has only a 3500 pound axle.

If it is a ton,it is just barely.A buddy of mine grabs the bumper and pics it up and goes side to side with it so it can't be to heavy.
You can't haul a T with open windshield much over 50 to 55 anyway and you better have the floor boards and seat cushion in the pickup as they can blow out.

When I started the project I also did not have the 350hp v8 powered truck I have now.All I had was the Ford you see hooked to it right now,a 6 banger. So I was trying to keep the wieght down as much as I could.

LeRoy IHC

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/07/2018
Hi Everyone

Pretty sure that would not be legal to drive in Pa. especially if those are just car tires. You need tires with a trailer weight rating. You might get away with it for a while but if State cop pulls you over you could be in trouble. As in they can and will dead line you and won't let you move it off the spot. You would be required to have it towed away until it's legal to drive. Just because you're legal in the state you live doesn't make you legal in states you're just passing through. As stated in some other post at 3500 lbs. you would be required to have 2 axles and brakes on both axles. Trailers with brakes on just 1 axle are no longer legal in most states which creates another problem for you.

Just my 2 cents

LeRoy :wave:

CharlieB

Registered
That's a very nice trailer.
Good job.
Very adequate for hauling your Model T.

Just one caution.....
It looks like the axle is right at the center of gravity of the trailer. Be careful to load the trailer front-heavy to keep tongue weight on the truck.
Otherwise, the trailer will see-saw on the road and cause control problems. (I learned that with the first trailer I built.)

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Axle is back about 12 inches from center.I moved it forward a couple inches from where it technically should be for the engine weight at the front. It is my understanding the axle should be a inch back from center for each foot of trailer length.
I doubt this trailer will get much out of the NC state.I do have a tandem I will be working on rebuilding later.This is to take the pickup a 100 miles to tour with the club on a weekend and haul it back,take to the local cruise in 20 miles away. The nearest club to me that is active in the T's is based a 100 miles away. And plenty of 55 mph roads I can take to get there.
I got the numbers to stamp on it today at the tag office.
The axle is setup for brakes to be added.

Trailer tires,Would be nice,but trying to keep the deck height down,and trailer tires are so damn tall. That would put my ramp much steeper.A couple inches makes a big difference with a ramp.T's are like driving tractors and can be jumpy if you are not real careful,I don't want far to fall if I can help it.
Edit,I found these but I don't have a amazon account,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QR7X7L/ref=psdc_404866011_t2_B07FWF36QF
only 1 inch taller than what I am running,which will only rise my trailer a half inch.I can live with that,but narrower profile 75 ,so may not be as stable as the 65 profile I have on it now.I can not understand why there is not a lower profile trailer tire avaliable .

Last edited:

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Well,I got the paper work with a number a while back,got the numbers stamped. Where I eat breakfast a couple Dmv guys eat there and I ask them if I could go to the next county as I didn't want to drive in the traffic to get to the dmv here in my county.Oh sure,same district.Gave me the inspectors name to talk to after the first of the year because he was out with a injury. I go by yesterday as the computer says mon,wed,fri schedule.WRONG sign said new hours,tues,wed. So I went back this morning. Inspector walks out ,looks at the numbers on the axle,and tongue, said" I love the way the floor is finshed and I like that 50 cal tool box". I then ask about if i had the right lights and what not. And he said it is MUCH better than most on the road today and signed everything and said "have a good day".
So I take my papers to the tag office. The lady keys everything in,and then bust out laughing like I don't know what. She said, "Sir,I can't do anything about this, but you will have to go thru the appeals process on this trailer." I ask why, The sorry asss county I live put a $12,780 dolllar value on this trailer. I called the county,and I have fill out a appeal form, send photos and hope for the best.OR make a appointment and take it up for inspection. THe state values it at 300 bucks and charged hwy tax on that value. Fair a plenty. I wouldn't object to 1200 in value or somethnig along that line.But I can buy a brand new factory built trailer with gate assist and jack and tool box for around 2200 bucks. ANd they will get a print of a couple ad's for new trailers when I mail all that sh-- back to them to.
I also ask the dmv inspector about hauling the T on this trailer for his inspection and so forth and he said NO Problem.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Well I sent the county 4 pictures,and 2 printed ad's for equal trailers with their prices.
I put 1000 dollars as fair value,being a new 1 could be bought from 1200 to 2200 dollars depending on features.
They called today and said it would be lowered for tax value to a 1000 dollars.The guy said he was concerned the computer spit out such a number. Um, anyhow, just thought I would update.

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
I don't understand. You sent a documented logical response to the County and low and behold, they understood it and responded. Something happened in the core of the earth, magnetic flux change, something. City, county, state and federal bureaucrats (bumblecraps) never understand when I use facts or logic.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
trust me,I was shocked to say the least!.

I have to deal with these nuts almost every year about 1 or 2 of my vehicals. Seems like 35 years or older suddenly becomes a Antique and it is worth gobs of money. My old 77 impala wagon,tax used to be about 4.00 a year. I got a bill along with tag renewal it was about 135 dollars tax. they said again,that magic number ,12,780. It is down to 1200. which is still steep for that old thing.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Had to take it back to the inspector yesterday. Due to various years of T parts ,like the 23 engine,20 chassis,26 wheels and rear axle,the state is only letting me title it as a replica. So my speedster project,I was going to have a bit of fun with it but now,hell,it will be exactly like I want it to be. "correct" or not.

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
How did they know what years the parts were from? It is all model T, so you would think they would go by the engine serial no. which is all they went by back then and tittle it as 1923. The DMV has always been a joke and I guess always will be.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Been in a similar situation up here blue as my '24 Runabout still does not have clear title...
'19 engine with ribbed pedals, body parts are about '24 with one '23 fender up front and...
Never again. I think my '18 is titled as '23. OK. Don't care/remember. It's legal. :)

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
At my age,and for all the work I put into it, if I can just get it legal will be of some reward.it just kinda kicks me in the butt that it is almost 99.8 % pure Ford Model T,very little other. to me a replica is modern iron made to look like old.