• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Train Stations

Merv C

Registered
Wow Merv. Beer brewing, train wrecks, worth the flight! Does it still look like the picture on the web page?

Model T railcar....crazy!

Have you driven the steam engine? That could be a lot of fun. Or you might end up in the next train wreck article!:)
No I haven't driven the engine. I have been on the train quite often.
The station is the original but with an NZR authentic veranda built over the platform and the track. The goods shed is no longer there but is now a car park

The whole complex is run and maintained by a large group of very dedicated volunteers.

The video on the website is a very good one and well worth watching and show the veranda.
http://www.pleasantpointrail.org.nz/150-Celebrations

Merv.

Dangier

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
Love to see the train pictures. I grew up near White River Junction in the 60's and you could set your watch by the whistles. My grandfather was a conductor and then car inspector on the Boston and Maine for years. Glad to see they finally restored the old 494 and put it under cover.
Thanks for the memories.
David

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Yes,I have had one or two there on occasions.There was a story that this station was built in the wrong town, but I read recently that that's just a myth. In 1895, Mark Twain visited and was quoted as calling Maryborough, "a railway station with a town attached".

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
I believe he was doing a tour of the colonies during 1895, and Maryborough would have been more important then as a gold producer. Another quote he gave about the Town--"Don't you overlook that Maryborough station, if you take an interest in governmental curiosities. Why, you can put the whole population of Maryborough into it, and give them a sofa apiece, and have room for more." See photo with the district gold train with 450 tons of gold aboard, leaving the station.

Attachments

Ashton

Registered
Interesting. I wonder if he invested (or was thinking about investing) in the mines there.
I was digging through some old paperwork of my great great grandfather's and I found an envelope with a bunch of stocks from around 1920. All kinds if silver and gold mines. I researched them and it seems they are all worthless!

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
I read somewhere he was a bit short of money,that's why he organized this tour. He was well received and I think the trip was a good one fr him.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Milton CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) station Milton Ontario 1910.This station was originally own and operated by the Credit Valley Railway.Part of the original station was made into a house and is up the street from were i currently live

Milton CPR Station  1910.jpg

Post Card of the Milton CPR Station
Milton CPR Station  Post Card.jpg

Last edited: