• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Translation!

B. K. Lahey

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/03/2012
With our new Aussie & Kiwi section, why not "educate" our friends across the Pacific about our lingo.

Lingo is language.:D

We don't have "shops" we have "sheds":brows:

A "Emu" engine is a "Hercules"

A "Cooper TA" is a "Stover CT"

A "Wrist pin" is a "Gudgen pin"

That's just a few I can think of at the moment, I'm sure other members can add to this.:shrug:

Oldsiron

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/17/2013
Re: Translation!!

chips are french fries

white metal is babbitt:crazy:

petrol is gas:bonk:

gas is propane:shrug:

a carby is a mixer

minister for war and finance is ya wife:rant:

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019

We do have a few words in common. (sort of) Wives, here, have been referred to as; "The War Department." :O

Danny J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2009

In Iowa, frost plugs, in Texas freeze out plugs, in Kentucky freeze plugs.

Well here where I live we have two kinds of gas! What you put in your car! And the fallout from a good ole batch of chili.:O

Gene, what does your misses call you?:brows:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

white metal is babbitt:crazy:
So what do you call white metal? :confused:

I've never referred to white metal as "pot metal" but I'm guessing that may be it?

B. K. Lahey

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/03/2012

We do have a few words in common. (sort of) Wives, here, have been referred to as; "The War Department." :O
"she who must be obeyed" isn't a bad one.:O
Handbrake, is another one I like (stops you from running away):shrug:
I shouldn't be doing this as today is our 44th wedding aniversary.:bonk:

BK

B. K. Lahey

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/03/2012

Ray, tire, makes more sense to me then tyre.
Spell it as you say it. The english language is crap!!

BK

WilliamInOz

Registered
I only have to lookout for mum when i get home late at night... like 10pm when i was last fired up a steam engine...
I had to explain you cant just turn it on drive it and turn it off like a car....
Crikey i had to earn some brownie points that week.

Cheers, Will

Alan Rudd

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2011
I affectionately call my wife "the war department" or " the old ball and chain" or "the comptroller" but I dare not call her "my future ex wife"

Alan

If guns cause crime then pencils cause misspelled words

Farquhar

Registered

Ray, tire, makes more sense to me then tyre.
Spell it as you say it. The english language is crap!!

BK

BK-- here in the southern part of the USA we pronounce "tire" as a "tar"-- fire is far---flower is flare-- flare is flare-- flour is flare again-- the english lingo is something else when you throw all the different accents & dialects into it--Eh [canadian] -mate -[England & OZ]:shrug::D
Also in the -south we have a habit of running words together--djeetyet=did you eat yet?:eek:

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016
Here is one I thought I would fight over. A guy (Canuc) was here on vacation (Holiday) and I was talking to him. All of a sudden, He said He was "PISSED" I had no idea what I had done to him to feel that way. He said he was not mad at me but was DRUNK !!

Strange on how terminology affects people.

Jim

Steve Shearman

Registered
Re: Translation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is one I thought I would fight over. A guy (Canuc) was here on vacation (Holiday) and I was talking to him. All of a sudden, He said He was "PISSED" I had no idea what I had done to him to feel that way. He said he was not mad at me but was DRUNK !!

Strange on how terminology affects people.

Jim

That is a very common term here in Oz for drunk or getting drunk

B. K. Lahey

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/03/2012
You can be "Pissed' -"half Pissed" - "Shot for s**t" - "full as a bull", "Full of s..t and bad manners", it all comes down to the fact, you're drunk!!:O

We don't have "zip codes", we have "area codes" but only 4 figure ones.:D

We also have "utes" not "pick ups":shrug:

Tractors are things you drive on a farm, not on the highway, we call them prime movers (Kenworth, Mack, Western star, Freightliner, IH, Volvo, Scania, UD), or trucks, (trucks don't pull trailers)

I'll think of more differences later, to pissed now:brows:

wjcoll

Registered
OZ has a wonderfully colourful language (and correct spelling of the english language of course).

We had a new couple start attending our church from Russia and the husband was really struggling to understand some of the local lingo.

The tempation to have a bit of fun was just too great and we really had him going when we tried to explain "...as flat out as a one-legged bloke in a back-side kickin' contest"

Ahhhh OZ! Ya wouldn't be dead fer' quids !!