• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Trying to ID this engine

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
My guess is this is a kit, and just wondered if anyone has seen one before? Also, know nothing about it. Looks like a small propane burner underneath. Am I supposed to add water to the little vessel? Any help would be great. Love to see it run.
Thanks,
ED

Attachments

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Looks like a scratch built stirling engine of a very strange design. Oil the piston, bearings, and rods with 3-in-1 oil then put heat from a small alcohol burner or similar underneath the brass chamber and give the flywheel a spin. If that's a glass under the brass part then maybe they burned sturno in it (?).

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
Turns pretty free, but will lube it and give it a spin. When I picked it up and leaned it over, it leaked water. I think from the top of the little brass vessel with the plug in it. Do these normally use water? If so, what does the water accomplish?
Thanks!

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
The water cools the displacer cylinder. Stirling engines use temterature differential to operate. Air is heated, and it expands. The power piston is moved outward. about 45 degrees later, The displacer pushes the air to a cooler area, where it contracts pulling the power piston down. The displacer then pushes the air to the heated area, and the cycle starts over. Water helps cool the air faster, and prevents heat build up. Without it, the differential eventually evens out and the engine will stop operating.
Andrew

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
WOW, I feel smarter already! Will add a little water to this thing tonite and see if I can get it to run. Think I have a small propane supply that will just do the trick. Should be very cool.
Thanks guys!