• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Twin City 27-44 New Toy

gleaner

Registered
I think I may have looked this one over one time. I wasn't around Kingfisher was it? I looked at one there over 25 years ago and decided it needed too much and passed it up.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Congrats on the new project, looking forward to future updates.

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Always interested to see another one of these Big Twin Cams discovered. Some interesting manifold modifications on this one...will be interested to see it disassembled to check out what they were up to with the exhaust stack on the right side. Also looks like the OEM spindles got switched out for truck stock...Maybe IHC KB parts? The factory pulley shaft cover is in place and these don't turn up very often. Rear fenders are pretty decent originals...

Great pictures and good luck with your new project! ;)

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Judging by the steering arm that seems to be hanging in space your tractor appears to have received a steering sector transplant at the time the front spindles got changed. The drag link on this tractor originally ran diagonally underneath from the steering sector on the lower right side to the steering arm on the front left spindle. I don't know what's left of your original steering box but the steering wheel and most of the steering box parts off a Twin City 17-28 will fit this tractor. The steering shaft itself would be too short but that would be an easy piece to fabricate. ;)

gleaner

Registered
yes, this is the same tractor
I thought I recognized it. I know I have the heavy steering box for a 27-44. One carburetor left, needs rebuilt. I think I still have a starting crank, not sure on that. May still be some manifold parts in the pile. Used to have a lot of 27-44 parts but the Nebraska boys bought a lot of my stuff when 3 of these were restored all together.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
This one was for sale here in Kansas recently, I e-mailed the seller and never got a response, not sure if it sold or where it went.:shrug:
Talked to the owner yesterday thanks to a stak member.

Attachments

Last edited:

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I'm kind of liking that truck axle & wheels myself.:cool:

Obviously the final decision is Yours, but if it were mine I would leave those parts on it as part of its History.

They add some Very Unique Character to it.

:salute:

painter

Registered
Finally, after some delays, I finally am getting started on this project. After moving it again, and getting it unloaded yesterday, I popped the valve covers off to see see what it looked like under them. I thought they looked good for as long as it has been setting. I have had it soaking with diesel every since I got it but still wont budge. Pulled one of the covers on the block and bottom end looks good, no rust down there. Next will be pulling the heads to see what the cylinders look like. Ready to get this beast running.

Attachments

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Yesss! Good for you painter!
Keep on him! Another monster coming alive!
The Big Twin Cams are just plain Monsters to me. :)
With luck, I will experience this also.
Keep us updated!

ajs2744TC

Registered
Looks like you opened up a big can of fun! This be the place for tips, help and support group for rusty busted TC knuckles.. Be fun to see your adventures unfold in this undertaking.:D

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
Painter,
I see the one head is a 203...do they match?
Have seen different head numbers mixed around on these big engines. The 203 is the most common head and also the best one. They are high compression and have higher nickle content in the mix. Make more power and not prone to cracking.
I have a couple 203's here if anyone needs them.
Good luck on your project!
Tony

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017
Pull the heads, replace valve springs when you do. Would never run an engine that old that has been sitting for a long time.