• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Twin City Big Twin Cam up for Sale

Jim Anderson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/23/2017
Kinda would like to find exhaust elbow. I actually need 3. But 2 for sure.
Hi Adam
I needed an exhaust elbow for my 17-28 and one for my 27-44. I ordered 2 1/2 inch and 3 inch elbows from McMaster Carr. Then I found a piece of scrap pipe to make the collars out of. I had to make a cut in the side of the collar to get the right diameter and weld it back together. Then I welded the collars to the elbows and ground the welds smooth. On the 2 1/2 inch elbow I cut 1 1/4 inch off the other end of the elbow and on the 3 inch elbow I cut 1 1/2 inch off the end of the elbow. The set screws and jam nuts came from Menards. The 1st picture is the elbows before fab work. The 2nd picture is the finished elbows. The 3rd picture is installed on the 17-28. The 4th picture is installed on the 27-44.

new elbows.pngexhaust elbows.pngsmall elbow.pnglarge elbow.png

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Those steel fabricated turnouts came out nice. It's hard to tell that they actually aren't cast iron. What's the wall thickness on those elbows?

ajs2744TC

Registered
Not any significant updates. Going to need a few more valves than planned and guides. Currently still cussing :rant:at 250116 at the moment. Having troubles locating at least 10 valve springs that don't cost 40$ a piece. Been fixing littles on 146 in preparation for spring when I hope to dig into it.:crazy:

---------- Post added at 07:23:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18:39 AM ----------

Nice elbows! I may just go that route unless you made up extras Jim.

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Thanks for the update. Were you able to find a piston?
I'm currently trying to work through an unexpected problem with the main bearing shells. Closer inspection revealed that they had run loose in the bores for some time and now are slightly undersize on the OD...the front main being the worst.
Pat Bayer has a new set of valve springs listed for sale in classifieds for $12 a pop. Probably never find them cheaper than that.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
I find the easiest way to post pictures is to take them with my phone, email them to myself in the medium scale. I can then save the pictures and post with no problem.

ajs2744TC

Registered
Thanks JC I will try it. I will check the adds Mark. That would be good deal.

---------- Post added at 10:17:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02:55 PM ----------

Yes mark I found a n.o.s piston from a friend. Traded him out of it fairly reasonable.

ajs2744TC

Registered
Well today #146 went into the shop for a mechanical resurrection. Should be easier after doing a couple already but there is always surprises to be had. Try to post pics here and there.

ajs2744TC

Registered
Yes! Been a while since I've updated this thread. 146 is going back together over past 2 months with a plan to start in late March. Had a hold up with just about every unplanned that could appear and life, work etc. Sometimes the nit picky things consume the most time. Unplanned timing parts repairs and many small items etc. But you all know that song and dance a time or two.

Attachments