• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Twin City Small Tractors. "On a WHIM"

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Late shift. S,J&H.

I pulled the late shift again out in the tiny shop.
At 1:03, there were birds calling each other. Humid, cool night. Mid 50‘s.
I’m sure the maw was barking and he was telling back, gimme a minute!...
Mine did too lately. Shiftless, Jobless and Hopeless ol’ fart that I am...
Plus son has WAY more for me to do on old Farmall’s too... Much to do there also.
293. That dang oil line sure was a BEAR to get back in without cross-threading threads!
Came out pretty nice all that time ago.
546. Polished and scraped a bit on the pan before the rains, out in the wash bay.
Had brushed and washed out the inside some before-hand in that 90‘s heat too.
Plenty of Grey paint under the oil mess from the rear seal.
Cam and pan first, we flip and then clean-up the front cover. Heads? Cool! Almost ready there.
881. Got my butt in gear and the lifters are back in place too today.
Got word from the machinist that he’s getting some more done on the TC parts AFTER I...
I had messaged him this afternoon, “My wife is on my ass about Twin City parts."..............
Then I told her I threw her under the bus! Hahaha! It worked on both sides.
Got a nice hamburger with an egg atop on a toasted bun for eats. Good stuff. I ran back to the shop.
Some flywheel clean-up done late too! Hmmm, have to figure the best way to re-install the three pins...
Yep, this one is so old it only had three Bell-Ringer pins from the factory.
I prefer to be under the gun with parts and what-not. Not so much from Maw. I buck her. Patience woman.
Took two years to get my carb and I knew fully it would. She flipped out again and again. Patience woman.
Do you remember some of the silly things I type? Due, you pulled the bent cam out with lifters and #3 and #4 lifter guides in-place. What were you thinking? That straight Anderson cam will slide right into place.
Crap! Back to the little shop and outdoors. Dims for lower flipper stands. 21-32 bolt pattern is 20 X 25-1/2. 21 or so tall.
Carry on and have a great day!

Attachments

Last edited:

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Hahaha! I know what you mean Adam and Randy's been completely sober for 20 years! WTH did he drag me into?
Oop, it's gone. Took a WD-40 soaked soft tee-shirt to the serial tag and gently...
Chilliwack (Canadian) said it best back then. "My girl, gone gone gone" Pic next time.
I'll bet a buck it was felt they were too busy to bother at the time.
I would have loved to be working on those shop floors and yet grateful I never was.
Empty stamp windows: Except or oddities like HA or such?
The 21-32 blog.
Might as well post too much again. :)
Flywheel: It almost looked comedic at some points. :)
Maw and I lifting the flywheel with a model T drive shaft thru the bushing up on the short 17-28 engine stands.
She said she can’t go UP to the horses. OK. I layed some boards down. 140 pound flywheel.
Rolled the flywheel out the door to the stoop to work with the pins before the clean-up.
And my poor meatball, it rolled out the door... Think about that and giggle with me. :)
One pin beautiful, one oversized (had to deal with that matter as the 3/4 hole had not been drilled all the way thru the wheel, Dremel and stone) and one in backwards.
Two blue-locktited pins back in.
Reset oversized pin 3 after cleanup. See about 7 o-clock. :)
Daughter couldn’t manage to get it off the short stands after this paint. Maw can’t lift it at all either. She tried.
They couldn’t grab the flanges of the wheel. Dot wished for a bar-bell to grab and she is quite strong.
Maw is also quite strong dealing with wiggly, live humans. The ol’ man still can!
Mr. Fibromyalgia with a blown out back can still lift the dead-weight! Hahaha! Yep! Wouldn’t touch it.
Poor beat up flywheel. The shxx that wheel has seen run thru it.
We’ll see HOW that Bell Rings. :)

250. Filthy/rusty flywheel. Crank-shaft flange mount area is just dusted with paint to be removed.
I had punch-marked everything before I pulled the flywheel off the engine. Let’s see how the stamped flywheel marks will line up as obviously this H-block engine has been apart after the F-block replacement a million miles/hours ago.
With notions of "clean cast iron” paint on reworked engine parts in a rusty chassis. Gotta shoot it with something to protect things and for the next...
Remember. If you have a shop & amenities or NEARLY nothing, YOU CAN. :)

Belt pulley vs tire clearance.
Got late. The mosquitoes nearly carried me away. Fiddled with putting a pulley on 2.
Try again on the morrow. Cleaning the old key, pulley and the output shaft.
Should’ve payed more attention to/cleaned the output/pulley shaft... I didn’t. Worked fine.
Plenty of things to consider when making ready for a cut-off wheel re-session. Pun not intended...
Fenders and belt pulley clearance are utmost. Fender clearance is a given and almost built in. Sort of.
These wheels are dead straight from the hub to the inside of the rim. So I think.
As if we lay the hub and then the rim on the floor, remove or add spoke material as needed and glue it all together and presto, as before.
On that notion, wouldn’t it be neat to talk to the fellows that did cut-offs for a living or the astute farmers?
Need to be sure of pulley clearance also.
Kinda cool. That pulley side 13 x 32 tire is really sagging/hugging the inside of the rotted rim so it’s a nice gauge.
Have to check tire “bulge” from the inside edge of the rim on the 18.4 x 30“ tires and rims coming.
What? Putting rubber tires on a steel wheeled tractor? Fools!
Yep. You know the whys right now.

3601. Maw was overtly good help! She lifted the bottom section up so I could start a bolt! Piece of Cake.
Where is the pulley supposed to be on the output shaft? I’m IN a bit.
7027. Clearance with the sagging/layed over 32“ tire.
8514. Glad I put the little collar on that clutch shaft inside the bell housing AFTER I see this!
No more of this foolishness of the pulley wearing at that clutch clevis as the shaft strays outward.

Those 4 fuel tank inches are obvious.
Watched a couple tub clips again and saw a long fuel tank on a ‘35 FTA.
Inspiration in those videos! Two pulls to start that 403 Bell Ringer... :) Maw even said “You’ll get there.”
64 Ford. Saw something too. A 64 Ford? Grandma likely got this back-then when shopping for a new car. Grandpa was perhaps on his way out due to the sprayer and the chemicals already?
“Sell that damn sprayer.” to my dad. Last words. '63 or ‘64.
Never met him.
Grandma had a 67 Fury II after I came along... Remember that loud blinker? Tink-tonk, tink-tonk, tink-tonk.
Eh hem. The two earlies up here are gas burners with 30 inch long fuel tanks.
Russ’s 35 and the 36 down the Hill here both have the 34-1/2 fuel tank. The difference is obvious. :)
Add 3 inches for the tape-measure body. I need to get back to last years Dalton show 21-32‘s to look at them again. Didn’t catch it.
Crap picture.
30 inch fuel tank.
33-1/2 inch fuel tank.
Have a great day!

Attachments

Last edited:

ajs2744TC

Registered
Your pretty safe on pulley. Kind of a wait till steel are on and see. Pics of the early 3spds in ads and the 1 in Texas, and MT 1 on internet indicates the galvanized tank w/out starting tank attachments. Im sure of this and its a close resemblance to a TY tank with out the backside brackets. Im sure 1 was on the titanic rusty parts 21-32 that I thought you had swapped over immediately earlier.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
You're brain is way faster than mine and you blow me out of the water lotsa days. :)
I gotta read all that again Adam. Oh! Yes, Ty style tanks here!
'cept for the the '36. Right? New ball game there!
Shoot. Steel wheels are quite snug. Too many brands. Oh crap. Steel.
Makes me wonder how ya slide a belt alongside the wheel to get around the pulley.

Last edited:

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
You're brain is way faster than mine and you blow me out of the water lotsa days. :)
I gotta read all that again Adam. Oh! Yes, Ty style tanks here!
'cept for the the '36. Right? New ball game there!
Shoot. Steel wheels are quite snug. Too many brands. Oh crap. Steel.
Makes me wonder how ya slide a belt alongside the wheel to get around the pulley.
If you have 3/8" clearance you can get the belt on. I found out that's why they are split for removal and why that is
suggested for field work as I got into some moist ground with the FTA plowing with the pulley on and that pulley
was a clod launcher.

Molinegb

Registered
Your right Russ, that's why many in certain soil have chipped or damaged pulleys. Couldn't imagine pulling on and off by oneself each time.
OLd split pulleys not hard to break. Had a NOS one for a U. Dropped on bare ground and knocked chunk out of it. On a UDLX right front fender had to be removed to do belt work. Fender was commonly left off if plowing to see furrow.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
The 17-28 had lugs put on it sometime that had centered holes, it looked to me like if that wheel wobbled just a little
bit it would hit the pulley going around so I put offset hole lugs on the inside. Then after our field experience a couple of years ago
I remembered the reason the FTA came home without a pulley and the 17-28 came with. Adolph who owned the 17-28 always
said that was his favorite tractor for years for filling silo and the FTA was a field tractor. I think Adolph retired that tractor on the belt.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Hahaha! I know what you mean Adam and Randy's been completely sober for 20 years! WTH did he drag me into?
Oop, it's gone. Took a WD-40 soaked soft tee-shirt to the serial tag and gently...
Chilliwack (Canadian) said it best back then. "My girl, gone gone gone" Pic next time.
I'll bet a buck it was felt they were too busy to bother at the time.
I would have loved to be working on those shop floors and yet grateful I never was.
Empty stamp windows: Except or oddities like HA or such?
The 21-32 blog.
Might as well post too much again. :)
Flywheel: It almost looked comedic at some points. :)
Maw and I lifting the flywheel with a model T drive shaft thru the bushing up on the short 17-28 engine stands.
She said she can’t go UP to the horses. OK. I layed some boards down. 140 pound flywheel.
Rolled the flywheel out the door to the stoop to work with the pins before the clean-up.
And my poor meatball, it rolled out the door... Think about that and giggle with me. :)
One pin beautiful, one oversized (had to deal with that matter as the 3/4 hole had not been drilled all the way thru the wheel, Dremel and stone) and one in backwards.
Two blue-locktited pins back in.
Reset oversized pin 3 after cleanup. See about 7 o-clock. :)
Daughter couldn’t manage to get it off the short stands after this paint. Maw can’t lift it at all either. She tried.
They couldn’t grab the flanges of the wheel. Dot wished for a bar-bell to grab and she is quite strong.
Maw is also quite strong dealing with wiggly, live humans. The ol’ man still can!
Mr. Fibromyalgia with a blown out back can still lift the dead-weight! Hahaha! Yep! Wouldn’t touch it.
Poor beat up flywheel. The shxx that wheel has seen run thru it.
We’ll see HOW that Bell Rings. :)

250. Filthy/rusty flywheel. Crank-shaft flange mount area is just dusted with paint to be removed.
I had punch-marked everything before I pulled the flywheel off the engine. Let’s see how the stamped flywheel marks will line up as obviously this H-block engine has been apart after the F-block replacement a million miles/hours ago.
With notions of "clean cast iron” paint on reworked engine parts in a rusty chassis. Gotta shoot it with something to protect things and for the next...
Remember. If you have a shop & amenities or NEARLY nothing, YOU CAN. :)

Belt pulley vs tire clearance.
Got late. The mosquitoes nearly carried me away. Fiddled with putting a pulley on 2.
Try again on the morrow. Cleaning the old key, pulley and the output shaft.
Should’ve payed more attention to/cleaned the output/pulley shaft... I didn’t. Worked fine.
Plenty of things to consider when making ready for a cut-off wheel re-session. Pun not intended...
Fenders and belt pulley clearance are utmost. Fender clearance is a given and almost built in. Sort of.
These wheels are dead straight from the hub to the inside of the rim. So I think.
As if we lay the hub and then the rim on the floor, remove or add spoke material as needed and glue it all together and presto, as before.
On that notion, wouldn’t it be neat to talk to the fellows that did cut-offs for a living or the astute farmers?
Need to be sure of pulley clearance also.
Kinda cool. That pulley side 13 x 32 tire is really sagging/hugging the inside of the rotted rim so it’s a nice gauge.
Have to check tire “bulge” from the inside edge of the rim on the 18.4 x 30“ tires and rims coming.
What? Putting rubber tires on a steel wheeled tractor? Fools!
Yep. You know the whys right now.

3601. Maw was overtly good help! She lifted the bottom section up so I could start a bolt! Piece of Cake.
Where is the pulley supposed to be on the output shaft? I’m IN a bit.
7027. Clearance with the sagging/layed over 32“ tire.
8514. Glad I put the little collar on that clutch shaft inside the bell housing AFTER I see this!
No more of this foolishness of the pulley wearing at that clutch clevis as the shaft strays outward.

Those 4 fuel tank inches are obvious.
Watched a couple tub clips again and saw a long fuel tank on a ‘35 FTA.
Inspiration in those videos! Two pulls to start that 403 Bell Ringer... :) Maw even said “You’ll get there.”
64 Ford. Saw something too. A 64 Ford? Grandma likely got this back-then when shopping for a new car. Grandpa was perhaps on his way out due to the sprayer and the chemicals already?
“Sell that damn sprayer.” to my dad. Last words. '63 or ‘64.
Never met him.
Grandma had a 67 Fury II after I came along... Remember that loud blinker? Tink-tonk, tink-tonk, tink-tonk.
Eh hem. The two earlies up here are gas burners with 30 inch long fuel tanks.
Russ’s 35 and the 36 down the Hill here both have the 34-1/2 fuel tank. The difference is obvious. :)
Add 3 inches for the tape-measure body. I need to get back to last years Dalton show 21-32‘s to look at them again. Didn’t catch it.
Crap picture.
30 inch fuel tank.
33-1/2 inch fuel tank.
Have a great day!
Ha, I missed about the old Ford until today. That belongs to the boys, six cylinder three speed manual. It was primer grey
with black flames on it when they drove it, I helped and funded the blue/green paint job which is ending up naturally
faded in the Kansas sun as the boys don't seem to want to take it home and put it inside and I don't have room. My Dad
had a two door like that when I was little, dark blue.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
:) Great story Russ. Funky, grandma's Fury II was light blue... Sister drove it for years.
One half of old Grey's 17-28 pulley is chipped up too. Interesting conversation gentlemen. :)
Still cleaning and painting a few items for 2's engine til the machine parts get here (ugh) and it gets crazy fitting things, researching TC/Battleship/City of Montreal Grey paint for 2's engine "possibly" whilst clean
(I'll insert this. Tony's leg work: Benjamin-Moore Coronado line line 31 Rust Scat #109. Benjamin-Moore P22 line, Battleship Gray #75. For 1934 - 1938 Sherwin-William's MM-TC Gray. A skoche darker.)
and also updated my browsers so I could get back into faceplant. Talked to son tonight and he suggested faceplant for getting ahold of Biewer's about my wishlist.
Been itchin' to find any more little nuggets about 2 on Tony's auction. Need faceplant. Weeks spent on and off.
2 even made it to the poster for heaven sakes! My first view tonight.
Tony's poster. On the bottom. Belated thank you Tony and also to you know who. :)
Close up 2. Second one in! What is that first tractor next to 2?

Attachments

Last edited:

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Thanks Adam!
On another note:
Those darned three ribbed fenders on 2 when it came here... They are waiting for someone. Not perfect but solid...

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Front timing cover.

Just screwin’ around with the timing cover as I pray for parts.
Gently cleaning the casting this evening in the 80‘s heat. The young chickens fair better than I.
Oop! I gotta make a gasket yet. Got the lower, square-smile gasket between this and the pan done some time back.
God son stopped in after work a couple days ago and I suckered him into getting the oil pan moved.
Safely placed, clean, painted and ready to go with a tiny spider & her nest in the dipstick recess. OUTSIDE.
Man, can he prattle. Pointless crap like $60,000 pickups. I told him I love my ‘05 pickup.
He’s just graduated 12 years but he’s still OK.

For me. Some scraping & scrubbing done. Oh yeah, the cam adjuster stays as-is for awhile. Not factory.
442 Olds. See the tiny tabs? The spiral fan pulley hub runs thru this bore. I couldn’t find a fourth tab.
935. Looky here. The “tabs” go about a 1/2 of the way in/thru.
No mention in the parts book of course.
Thoughts? I realize there may not be any but fun to show just the same! Interesting! :)
Cast Iron Coat in the gear cover's near future.

Attachments

Last edited:

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
21-32 front axle king pin/reach concerns.

Some key things while I wait for TC parts.
Ignoring those dang Farmall’s right now.
Son came up with some F-30 cast front wheels with the 5 near-oval holes... Odd? Or not so much?
I think they’re really cool.
Him? Trading fodder for other bits... OK. :)

The focus: In this oppressive heat/humidity... 2‘s front axle while the engine is out. Still.
Found myself hiding and cooling off in the little shop today. Twice, sipping cold water.
No excuses that I know (kinda like AIC’s No Excuses). HOT.
“Layin' low, wanna take it slow... Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day...”...

2484. Needed one of these spacers/bushings for the rear of the front axle reach.
A washer placed to be certain the front axle isn’t against the replacement FT78B yoke for some more miles.
The king pin was so stuck in the axle... I fiddled around with a three pound hammer... It just laughed at me.
Stuffed full of dirt Zerk. Wished to move the axle and reach forward a bit.
The 13 pounder moved that pin and it takes grease now too. :)
Gotta tear it all apart again.
Dumb bell me. How do I pound the king pin out the back? There’s a bolt in one drag rod yoke knucklehead.
Lift the bolt out, swing the rod away and drive the pin back. Jack’s in place.

465. Poor on spacer mat’l, rich on time. An old piece of 1“ pump rod/shaft stuck in the 1911 SB lathe and go.
It was nicer in the grudge than outside.
The young, now pregnant (thanks) stray (our new) cat figured that out before I did.
Ol’ Roxy hates that cat for obvious reasons. It’s another cat on her turf.
That old lathe looks to be turning so fast. Looks a little dry. Perhaps two hours. Voila.

Perhaps the original FT418 spacer/bushing was 3/4 ID, 1 OD and 11/16 long (5/8 x 2 reach material).
I parted this one off at 3/4 long.
Used from #1 to #4346. I have not figured out what they did after #154649 for this spacer or if negated.

6311. Ready to go.

7140. The rains came, hiding in the little shop and putzing. Messed with a couple mismatched cylinder drains that migrated to this project.
Drills, a paper towel and the utmost polyester goop! EZ-Turn Lube. Saamooth. Fuel resistant.
Like Brylcreem, a little dab’ll do ya. True. One can be very judicious of its use. Else a bigger mess.
Real aluminum tube. Almost prone to twisting breaks. Ultra Black any holes. Trying that right now.
Make ‘em right, even in their “state”.
“...built to do the work not to meet the price.”
Keep on keepin' on!

Attachments

Jacob WI

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2020
Early 20-35 allis long fender.
Yep, it sure was. I was at the auction, and that was the only thing I went for. I was bidding on it for a friend. It ended up being a bidding war between me and another friend, and in the end I bowed out because he wanted it worse than I and the friend I was bidding for wanted it. At least I know where it went. It needed a lot of work too, but is a good starting point for a restoration. That's why I hate auctions, you spend all day and may not even get what you want. And the thing you want is always at the end.....

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Hehehe! You are so right Jacob! All the junk I've ever bought on an auction has been way late in the day! :)
I (quietly) left the box and old hockey skates when I got my '24 Dyke's manual, sittin' on that Belarus front tire... $12.
Shoot, YOU even saw 2 way before I did... That's kinda cool. :)