• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Two 19hp Port Hurons For Dale in the Ads!!

Case50hp

Registered
two nice project engine for sale! 19 hp Port Huron with horizontal governor #7584 $18,500 or best offer, the other one another 19hp #7662 $12,500 or best offer.. I wouldnt mind having the horizontal governor Port Huron but dont have the time space or the money! :uhoh: also was wondering if any one knew the year of the engines?

Casemaker

Registered
Re: Two 19hp Port Huron for sale in the ads!!

I live within 40 miles of Champaign and have never heard let alone seen these two engines. I have no interest in them but would be willing to take a look at them for someone if they are seriously considering them. I would like to know what to look for regarding a PH boiler.

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019

What makes the horizontal governor more exciting ? My friend has a Goodison with one and it is smooth on the sawmill. Just wondering

Last edited:

Case50hp

Registered

Im not for sure i just like the looks of that engine better for some reason it just catches my eye

Casemaker

Registered

The one with the horz gov has rubber pads on the rear wheels i would bet it has done some plowing. Also the lack of a boiler jacket makes it less iffy as far a condition of the bottom of the barrel. The other one looks like it has the orig boiler jacket which concerns me. I have seen an Advance Rumely that sat outside with a boiler jacket and it was not pretty. On a PH was there wood used in the boiler jacket ?

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018

The background and boiler condition would be most interesting. The jacketed engine's wheels are almost smooth, so I wonder what the gearing looks like?

Yes, the jacket could pose a major issue in addition to "regular" boiler deterioration. Most jackets have wood and perhaps asbestos under it.

I'd have to look at my list, but with the lap boilers, they are 1915 or earlier.

Look at the corners of the firebox, bottom of the barrel especially around the front axle support, between the firebox & ash pan doors, and under the pedestal.

Casemaker

Registered

Yes, the jacket could pose a major issue in addition to "regular" boiler deterioration. Most jackets have wood and perhaps asbestos under it.

Thats what I found on the Advance Rumely which sat outside not too far south of these engines. Rest of the boiler looked good but the bottom of the barrel was deeply pock marked because of the jacket.

I suspect having the roof would help some... but in Illinois there is always wind to blow rain. Hope these engines find good homes...

Ask The User

Email NOT Working

Both are 1915 engines. #7662 would have been built around the time the butt strap boilers were introduced. The horizontal governor is a Watson. Part of the optional cab is still on the one engine. You can see the front framework and the fenders.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

I've seen these units in the past, they were in the hands of a collector then and not available. If I had the finances they would Look nice here.

Case50hp

Registered

Also is there an advantage of a double cylinder compound engine? I was told that it reused steam from the big cylinder then it went to the little cylinder? and was the much difference in horse power?

Casemaker

Registered

Talked to the owner of these engines, and they have both been steamed in the last few years. He thought he had a pressure relief set at #125 on both of them. He had not had them Ill state inspected because he has used them around his home and has two other engines that he shows. They both have been hydroed to #200. Owner is very knowledgable about steam engines. He has too many irons in the fire is only reason he is selling them.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

Also is there an advantage of a double cylinder compound engine? I was told that it reused steam from the big cylinder then it went to the little cylinder? and was the much difference in horse power?
These would be Tandem Compounds, not Double Tandem Compounds (two sets of a large and small cylinder in line ), but efficiency was the goal regardless. Steam enters the small cylinder where it expands and transfers about half the enery transfered (much still goes up the stack) then goes into the big cylinder with lower pressure and transfers the other portion of the energy harvested.

A quick search on Stak should turn up several PH sales brochures touting the efficiency of their compounds. That noted, compounding efficiency is real, but not exactly a magic bullet on a traction engine. The gains are most apparent with higher pressures (the 125 relief settings noted here might put it at the bottom end of realizing compounding efficiency) and a good load. Also, one more place for maintenance was a strike against it for farmers.

I'd still be wary of what is under the jacket, especially an engine that must have spent some time outside.

Whether or not you realize any gains from it, a compound makes for a neat difference if there are no compounds at the shows you attend. :cool:

Casemaker

Registered

Some interesting history of the one with the boiler jacket and worn wheels. It came from about 50 miles north of Port Huron Michigan and was used to pull a milk train for many years.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

That would be the reason that it had a factory cab on it...bet it was warm on a Michigan winter morning.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

I'm not trying to be a nosey old know it all old timer. But it seemed to be questioned as to WHY the horizontal governor? I would guess that the owner of the engine, delivering on hard public roads may have experienced "fluctuating" engine speeds when encountering bumps? A horizontal governor negates that problem much better. The bottom weights are attempting to fall and cause fluctuations, but the upper weight counteracts that. When the weights are on a horizontal axis, there is no effect of the falling on the weights. Or in the case of three weights, it still pretty much works out that way. I've plowed with engines that had sensitive vertical governors that fluctuated on rougher ground, and caused the engine speeds to do that lots. Gary ;)

Casemaker

Registered

The one with the horz govenor...i was not told the history of it. The one with worn wheels and remains of the cab had the vert gov on it.

Might have to start a thread about horz govs on different engines and the reasons why!

Casemaker

Registered

If I could purchase the one with the remains of the factory cab... I think i would put the cab back on it, but with some changes so that a person could remove it whenever they liked and reinstall it as well. It wouldnt be original but it would be like a car with a removable hard top.