• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

U.P. Port Hurons

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
First off, for you non-Michiganders, the title is not referencing the direction, but location of the Port Hurons. Here in Michigan, we have the Lower Penninsula, and the Upper Penninsula thus the LP & UP.

Spent the weekend up in Newberry, Michigan this past weekend and decided to photo-document 3 Port Huron steamers that some of you know about.

The first is at the Logging museum a couple miles north of Newberry. It's a Port Huron portable that is relatively intact. It hasn't run for years. At one point in its life, it was converted to oil, as witnessed by the round fitting welded into the front of the firebox. The smoke box door indicates this as engine #5854. Enjoy the attached pictures.

Attachments

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
The second Port Huron is the remains of a portable. It is located at the KOA campground just outside of Newberry, Michigan, with a stationary engine/compressor laying along side. The boiler has been stripped of its engine and wheels from its front axle. No engine number was found on this engine. Talking with the owner, back when it was purchased 30 some years ago, he did have some piping to allow a few pounds of steam to be generated and idle the engine, but hasn't done that in a couple decades. The engine is set up. Enjoy these photos.

Attachments

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
The third Port Huron engine is in the small crossroads of Strongs, Michigan. It's about half way between Sault Ste Marie and Newberry. This engine has been talked about on this in the past. It has been sitting along the road side as a tourist attraction for a small gas/party store along M-28. The engine was last run nearly 40-50 years ago. It had never been for sale for years, but he actual owner is currently in his early 90s, in a care home, and has pretty much lost touch with reality.

Thus, his son has recently decided to sell it.

His son has no idea what it's value is, nor much about it. We talked about it and I didn't venture into what a good price would be, but cautioned him that its value will be highly dependant on the condition of the boiler. Attached are photos of the engine as of this past weekend (May 21, 2009). If you are interested in contacting him to talk about the engine, PM me and I will forward on his cell number for you to pursue it further.

I have not decided to pursue it due to current financial and space constraints.

Good luck !

Attachments

steamin191620

Registered
The first one is a 32 hp Port Huron portable the second one is a 32 hp also and the third i know pretty well been over it many times it is a 20 hp single simple with piston valve and telling by the B serial number what i have been told is this engine has gone back to the factory at some point and had been rebuilt :wave:

Joseph Cissell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2017
Pete, If you would, email me the man's cell number with the 20 horse power engine. I am interested in it.
Thanks, Joe

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
FYI - - Talked with the owner of the Port Huron up in Strongs, MI this morning. Says he's had a couple guys look at it, but they tried to low-ball him on the price.

Current asking price is $25,000 as it sits. Hasn't run for 25-30 years, as far as I know. Guessing it will be sitting & deteriorating for a long time.

Pete

Fred Cooper

Registered
Hi Pete,
"I have not decided to pursue it due to current financial and space constraints". I think we all suffer from that, to greater of lesser degree :crazy:

Here in the UK to many nice projects get sucked up by dealers who then price the first times out of it. :mad: Nice to see someone promoting steam for steams sake.

Well done,
Fred

Rich Martz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/16/2019
While on my travels to Sault Ste.Marie last week I stopped and took a few pictures of this engine. Didn't stop to talk to anyone as I'd been on the road for about 11 hrs at that point. Still there rusting away. Got some pics of it but not downloaded yet.

Bob Oliver

Registered
My friend from the U.P inquired about that engine a few years ago and told me that it was supposed to be in the will that it was never to be sold and I would think at the price that they are asking...that it never will be sold.
Bob

stfarms

Registered
Hey Pete,
This comment may be in the wrong place but I hope you get it anyway. It was a pleasure to meet you this summer at Wellington Farm Park at Grayling. Hope next summer you can come again and bring the Pitts with you! We could give her a few rounds on the sawmill!
We are done for the year, as we spend the winter getting the Advance ready for the boiler inspector in the spring. We hope to be up and running with no problems. Only time will tell the ending to that story.
Again, thanks for taking the time to stop at Wellington!

stfarms

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
If I could just win the REAL lottery and not the frequent SCAM lotteries, it would be at my house. I already have a spare set of nice Port Huron tanks.....

I wonder if they have the SN plate off the smokebox? I'm curious about how the bottom of the smokebox ring seems to be rusted or broken off??

We'll just have to hope the right person stops in and is able to provide a proper home.

At least scrap prices are down....;)

Beth:wave:

steamin191620

Registered
Beth that is a old port the number plate is on the side of the smoke box i have looked at this engine many times it would be a good engine again with some tlc! :brows:

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Yea, Beth, that is the engine. When I talked with Ray a few years back, his dad, Rudy(?) was in a nursing home and very old. I understood he was the hold up in selling the engine.

Glad it is formally for sale. Hopefully, the asking price is now within reason and someone can capture that engine and do something with it.

Good hunting all !

Pete

Craig H

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2016
Regarding the PH 20 in the "UP" that Pete is referring to, I am pleased to report that I purchased this engine late last week. My intention is to get the engine over to Jonas Stutzman's and have the necessary work performed for this engine to become operable again.

This is my 1st post on Stak, so I expect that few if any of you know who I am. My name is Craig Holden, and I am a member at Rough and Tumble. I attended R+T's steam school in 2009, and have been patiently waiting since then for the right engine to come along.

Obviously, this engine's going to require considerable work, but I think she's a real diamond in the rough. Port Huron's were always at the top of my list.

I received a copy of the production record from the previous owner's son (Rudy). The engine is serial # 5624 (1906) , and was sent back to the factory in 1915 for extensive reconditioning, and acquired a new serial # B4147. Interestingly, this engine initially left the factory equipped with a locomotive cab and jacket.

I have not seen the engine 1st hand; bought it based on the several photos that had previously posted on Stak (thank you, Pete - they were much better than what the owner sent me).

I'll be happy to provide more detail as events evolve. My intent is to post more pictures and detail during the inevitable restoration.

20minnie

Registered
Well congrats Craig! always nice to see another engine saved from the scrappers. Jonas will do a great job for you. Take good care of her, maybe I will remake a trip to R&T and see it first hand.

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Congrats Craig ! Sorry to see it leave Michigan, but better in Pennsylvania then decaying in the U.P.

Are you coming up to look at it before it ships, or just wait till it arrives at your house?

Craig H

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2016
Pete - yes, I certainly plan to get up to Strongs to get the engine "unstuck", as well as prep it for travel and take plenty of photos. I also want to meet Rudy and his wife. Rudy has been a gentleman thoughout the process.

I certainly understand your sentiment about the PH leaving MI soil. That's not lost on me. The upside is that R+T does not presently have a Port in the stable, so it will be nice to have the marque represented.

Beth V has been VERY involved in giving me advice and perspective over the past several years (thanks, Beth!). She and her brother Rol are likely to transport this engine back to Jonas' as soon as we can move her.

PA is not that far away. I hope to grow my connections with the NTA community. It would be great to bring this lady back out to one (or many) NTA SHOWS !