• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

U.t. Tester

Batch33

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2019
has anyone purchased ( or at least admit to :O) one of these chinese Ultrasonic testers advertised on flea-bay ?
It goes against my better judgement ,and it will be a throw away if there are any problems but for the three boilers I want to check they seem to fit the bill .
or does anyone know of a better source ? :shrug:

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Pretty simple to check one of these things. Get a plate and try it. The difficult part will be duplicating a "surface condition" on either inside or outside - as this will affect reading.

And paint/coating will throw it off.

Your mileage may certainly vary, however. Quality control is NOT their strong point.

OBTW, has the town of North Hampton talked to you yet about the zoning? Kidding but not really. A legitimate concern for myself. Residential/Agricultural may not include boilers in your front yard. But you could say it's an "agricultural boiler?"

It's been a while on pix of this. Can you show the others what we see?

Joe

Batch33

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2019
Picture 741.jpg

Picture 744.jpg

what this ? :shrug: it did spend more time outside this summer than I would have prefered .

By the way isnt "Zoning" a four letter word ?

Tom Runty

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
It's the old "price vs. value" argument. I'd still stick with the proven track record of the Krautkramer-Branson meters. They also come up on Ebay from time to time, and are a better investment. That's where I got mine.

Tom R.

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Batch, you're in like Flynn. Your boiler out front was originally designed to be hauled around by a horse.

Can't get more agricultural than that.

Joe

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
And I thought that I was the only STEAMER that had to get creative with the steam items that I can't get into the garage to avoid code enforcement....................:D

:wave:

Mike McKnight

Registered
I bought a cheap, India-built UT meter off e-bay a few years ago. Worked OK for a few years, until it went haywire and stopped working. Might have been because I started using it in a nasty Chemical plant with Hydrochloric Acid and Sufluric Acid Fumes and Chlorine fumes could have had something to do with it....:shrug:

I paid something like $225 or so for it, I certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Mike M

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
I bought a Digiworks UT tester from china for about 400 bucks about 5 years ago. I used it about 7 times and had to send it in for rebuild 120 bucks:confused: I guess you could I am in a small way happy with it