• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 Update | April 2019

Railroads

Registered
Caser, I wish I was going to be there on that train. I am going to have to catch it on youtube I'm afraid.

A friend told me last night that tickets for the domed cars were $5K. They sold out in 12 minutes of UPRR posting the tickets for sale on the web. Supposedly they have some none dome sets at $3K. Crazy!

Robert

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Caser, I wish I was going to be there on that train. I am going to have to catch it on youtube I'm afraid.

A friend told me last night that tickets for the domed cars were $5K. They sold out in 12 minutes of UPRR posting the tickets for sale on the web. Supposedly they have some none dome sets at $3K. Crazy!

Robert

That is crazy :crazy: :bonk:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
To me, I'd much rather be trackside, than on the train. A much better way to experience the engine itself. Other than being in the cab. :D

I appreciate why they pull passenger coaches with their engines, but of course the Big Boys never did. I'd like to see them use it on a revenue freight every now and then, with no diesels. Get it to really work! :D

Keith

Railroads

Registered
Keith, I'd agree. The best seat would be on the footplate. Second best place to be is trackside.

The problem with working a freight train is the UPRR only installed one oil burner. I think 4014 would suffer from the same lack of steaming ability the 4005 had when they tried burning oil back in the 40's. The 4005 did not heat evenly and suffered from lack of steam pressure if what's been said is accurate.

The ideal setup would be to copy the SP cabforward dual burner setup. Something the steam crew does have the drawings for. Ed and his crew went out and looked over the SP Cabforward at the California State Railroad Museum as well. Only time will tell if Ed ends up going that route.

Robert

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility of their having installed insufficient burner capacity to achieve rated HP from the engine. But it makes sense, if they're not really planning on working it.

Railroads

Registered
Interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility of their having installed insufficient burner capacity to achieve rated HP from the engine. But it makes sense, if they're not really planning on working it.
Ed eluded to it in a video interview last year when talking about the oil burner. They don't plan on working heavy freight trains with Big Boy. Only pulling passenger excursions. Shame! The challenger put on a hell of a show on some very long freight trains over the years. One of them was a 143 car container train unassisted.

Robert

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Would Think with Oil Burners, They Could Have Installed TWO of Them and just run One-at-a-Time under Lighter Loads.

Kind of a Shame Not to Have Considered That Option.

:shrug:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
I don't see how a single burner would pan out in a firebox that measures 19'6" × 8'...…… :eek:
It would still have to be one doozy of a burner.

Railroads

Registered
The burner installed is like the one in 3985 but just a bit bigger. The issues though with heating the massive firebox might plague 4014 until they switch to a two burner setup. Only time will tell.

Robert

Railroads

Registered
Spoiler alart, UP 4014 will be trailing 3985's oil tender. There was not enough time for them to build an oil tank and convert 4014's tender for oil fuel and add roller bearings, etc. After this big event they are supposed to start on the 4014 tender.

As long as 3985 is going to be down 4014 might trail that tender for a couple years. Not exactly sure when the steam crew intends to convert the Big Boy tender? I will be watching for further news on that front.

What's really baffling to me is the claims I've heard out of Cheyenne about plans to recover the trucks and then scrap the two unrestored former turbine fuel/water tenders. With UPRR planning to field three steam locomotives one of which using as much water as the challenger, if not more seems stupid to me. Those old turbine tenders should be converted to water tenders and join the two slightly more modern water tenders from former 4-8-4 locomotives. These two older phase one challenger tenders in question come from the very first grouping of challengers built in the 1930's.

Oh well, I guess time will tell if those old Class 23-C-GTE 23,000 gallon non-insulated tenders that had been converted from Class 19-C tenders removed from retired UP 3800-series 4-6-6-4s get the axe.

Robert