Union Steam Pump

machineshop

Subscriber
We are trying to refurbish a union steam pump 7 x 4.5 x 10. We put new rings on the main steam piston and also new leathers on the water side. It has a steam piston valve about 2.5" od with rings on both ends. It shifts the slide valve which in turn moves the main steam piston. Our problem is the small piston valve sticks at one end after making several strokes. We run it with about 150psi steam. The piston valve is new and new rings with about .004ths clearance on piston. The housing was trued up as well. We contacted Union Steam Pump company but they do not have any info on this pump. Can any on you steam guys shed any light on this problem? Thanks J

Pete LaBelle

Yea, I contacted Union last Fall, as I found a small Union Steam Pump steam engine. Didn't seem to perk anyone's interest. Guess I need to track down one of the workers nearing retirement.

Regarding your pump, maybe some dumb thoughts:

Is the steam lubricated with cylinder oil?

Does the piston valve bore taper some toward the end, or is there a burr there?

Is the valve being driven into the end of the stroke?

Is the ports the valve travel over clear of any burrs?

Do the rings in the valve hang up on any of the ports?

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Pete

Pete LaBelle

Yea, I contacted Union last Fall, as I found a small Union Steam Pump steam engine. Didn't seem to perk anyone's interest. Guess I need to track down one of the workers nearing retirement.

Regarding your pump, maybe some dumb thoughts:

Is the steam lubricated with cylinder oil?

Does the piston valve bore taper some toward the end, or is there a burr there?

Is the valve being driven into the end of the stroke?

Is the ports the valve travel over clear of any burrs?

Do the rings in the valve hang up on any of the ports?

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Pete