• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Unknown Air Compressor

Redpower33

Registered
Just picked up this gem. My grandfather had it in his barn. Does anyone have an idea on what year it would be or who made the air pump? I’m not seeing any identifications or numbers on the air pump. It is in working order, they don’t make them like they used to . Very quiet unit.

Attachments

circuitman

Registered
i have one almost like this one. the compressor is the same but mine had a different motor. i have to leave to got to work but will look when i return!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I was going to say 1940's but your century motor looks like a older design than mine, so maybe 1930's?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Well I'll be... I have one practically identical to this, and I always thought it was home brew and missing the proper flywheel. But your same welded tank, right down to the wooden brackets, and your exact same flywheel without fan blades. My pump is United States Air Compressor Company, and yours looks to be the same. I also have a 3/4 hp Century repulsion start motor on mine, what motivated me to buy the whole thing. ;) I am much happier knowing mine may be mostly original after all!! Is you motor and pump mounting plate a big slab of wood as well??

This style of Century motor seems to have existed from at least a little before the turn of the century into the 1920's at least. I am not sure when they changed to the boring style (or lack of style) that came afterwards, but probably the '30's. Your has the common 1915 patent date, so we know it's after that, possibly well after that. I would put it as 1920's.

Now I'm motivated to get off my butt and restore mine! You're right, they sure are QUIET. That pump runs nice and SLOW.

Keith

Last edited:

Redpower33

Registered
Well I'll be... I have one practically identical to this, and I always thought it was home brew and missing the proper flywheel. But your same welded tank, right down to the wooden brackets, and your exact same flywheel without fan blades. My pump is United States Air Compressor Company, and yours looks to be the same. I also have a 3/4 hp Century repulsion start motor on mine, what motivated me to buy the whole thing. ;) I am much happier knowing mine may be mostly original after all!! Is you motor and pump mounting plate a big slab of wood as well??

This style of Century motor seems to have existed from at least a little before the turn of the century into the 1920's at least. I am not sure when they changed to the boring style (or lack of style) that came afterwards, but probably the '30's. Your has the common 1915 patent date, so we know it's after that, possibly well after that. I would put it as 1920's.

Now I'm motivated to get off my butt and restore mine! You're right, they sure are QUIET. That pump runs nice and SLOW.

Keith
That is very interesting that you have the same one or similar. Upload a picture when you have a chance I would be curious to see what yours looks like. Yes they are very unique looking Compressor and I was wondering about the wood blocks. I thought that was a very unique feature. I’ve been on vacation for the last few days I’ll be home Monday. I will look to see if the motor and pump or mounted on a wood plank, I cannot remember. I need to get off my butt and get mine cleaned up as well. Haven’t decided if I will do a full restoration or leave it in its work clothes. Still have not found the perfect spot to put it in the shop yet.

Last edited:

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Very interesting compressor!
Is the air actuated lever and push rod on the brush end of the motor part of the repulsion start or?

circuitman

Registered
as i said i would look at mine when i got home, just got in , mine is a QUINCY imposed type. my motor was orignally a replusion start motor. wasn't a century though. bought from a guy that accidentally hooked it too 240 volts while it was set on 120. smoked it a little but run a long time afterwards. as matter of a fact the orignal was a WAGNER motor. there slow but very nice!

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Is the air actuated lever and push rod on the brush end of the motor part of the repulsion start or?
That mechanism is an unloader valve that is operated by the brush lifting mechanism in the motor. This ensures that the compressor will not start pumping against pressure until the motor has come up to speed and transitioned from repulsion to induction. I really wish I had one on mine!

Keith

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Mine is not readily accessible for photography, and the motor is off of it for service, but here’s what I got. My wooden tank mounts do not have the fancy bevel work. Maybe I’ll have to spruce them up a bit. ;)

Whoops! I stand corrected. At least one of them does.

Mine has got to be restored. That hideous green has got to go!

Keith A19A1B82-78F3-40E6-AD51-8EE0C814B0FE.jpegCB3FA666-DD7C-47F4-B8B3-0B1B7E9996A5.jpegF1A84CCD-5355-4CEA-854E-1C597B0E54A0.jpeg89950EF7-DE36-42A3-8E78-A9DEFF5D7989.jpeg

Last edited:

Redpower33

Registered
Mine is not readily accessible for photography, and the motor is off of it for service, but here’s what I got. My wooden tank mounts do not have the fancy bevel work. Maybe I’ll have to spruce them up a bit. ;)

Whoops! I stand corrected. At least one of them does.

Mine has got to be restored. That hideous green has got to go!

Keith
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Yes, that green is definitely a hideous color. My motor has some of the green on it as well. Definitely very similar units. Interesting the little air filter that is on the pump. I need to track down a person or company to do a little work on the motor. When it starts up and then running the connectors don’t move far enough away and it occasional will spark a little bit. I’m in the San Diego area, if anyone knows of any one or companies that work on them in this area. I have not done much research yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
".....an unloader valve that is operated by the brush lifting mechanism in the motor. This ensures that the compressor will not start pumping against pressure until the motor has come up to speed...."
Son of a gun, that's really cool. Thanks Keith! Shoot! It's a reaction FROM the motor itself.

Doggone it, I've run across one of these compressors somewhere!

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Definitely! I always hydro test mine myself at 1-1/2 times the maximum working pressure listed on the tank, or, lacking that information, 1-1/2 times the safety valve setting. Make sure that you have an accurate gauge. I have calibrated mine on a dead weight tester. It’s way overkill, but I leave my tanks under test overnight.

Keith