• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Unknown Engine on orchard sprayer

fortvlly

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2011
Came across this engine and orchard sprayer. I am wonder if you all can tell me what it is. The engine, sprayer, and pump all are complete. I couldn't get the flywheels to move but I don't know if the engine or pump is locked up. All the chains where still hooked up. Engine has been covered up. The crankshaft cover is still on the engine too. I have a chance to buy this but not sure if it is worth the risk. Any info you all can give me will be great. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attachments

S

speleausmining

Its a hurc built engine. In that kind of shape I would go for it unless the asking price is way out there. Even traces of the decal on the side of the water hopper. If its been covered i doubt the engine is badly stuck. The pump might be badly stuck but the engine shouldent be. It looks complete, and undamaged and theres got to be some original paint hiding under the crud as the decal has survived. Just my 2 cents.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
It's a hercules.
Please don't go yanking on the flywheels until you make sure the exhaust valve isn't stuck. Otherwise, you'll break the rocker arm or the head trying to force something, and you won't even realize it until you hear the sickening sound of cast iron snapping. :(
You'll have no problem finding any part you need for that thing. Looks like it's complete, but you can easily lay down a couple hundred in springs, rings, gaskets, fuel tank, valves, valve grinding wrist pin bushing, wrist pin, connecting rod bearing, oiler glass, etc... OR the tank may be able to be sealed/ repaired (it's very likely got pin holes at least) and a little lapping of the valves and make your own gaskets, you might get by cheaply.
They're a good engine, and one of the most popular ones of their day, they sold TONS of them. Every day. Kevin

fortvlly

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2011
The engine is complete from what I can tell. The oiler is there as well as the cover over the crankshaft and there is a cover on the water tank. I moved the valves with my hands and they moved really easy. Thanks a lot for all the info. Oh and also the sprayer tank is complete and in great shape. Be willing to bet that the old wooden tank will still hold water.

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
fortvilly,
I think what you have is a Hercules built ARCO model GH. Looks like a Lunkenheimer mixer instead of the Hercules J mixer & many ARCO sprayer engines had a tin crankcase cover to keep the leaves out. Be interesting to see what tag says. At least some ARCOs had Hercules decal & were originally painted a grayish-blue. Also your mag trip & rocker are different from normal. Go to Keith Kinney's site & look thru Glenn Karch's "Hercules News" reprints from GEM. I think you'll find the answer in several of Glenn's articles on ARCOs.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Doug,
What's different about the mag trip and rocker? Looks like the normal stuff to me. What do you see that I don't?

The odd thing I noticed is that it has the later style flywheel rims, but the fuel filler is piped over from the off side of the engine. According to Glenn Karch, the fuel filler should have already been relocated to an opening on the mag side of the engine by the time the flywheel rims were changed.

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Mike,
The mag rocker looks different to me in the fairly poor photo. The clamp on the trip also looks a little different & I'm wondering if it has the patent date on it. Glenn explains it pretty well in one of those reprints.

Looked a little closer at second photo and the rocker does look typical ... just the way a shadow fell in 1st photo. With the Lunk & cc cover I'm still saying ARCO.

Last edited:

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Fort,
I vote ARCO, but at this point, doesn't matter. If you don't git it, let me know. :cool:

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I would also concur that it is a Hercules built Arco.

fortvlly, does the sprayer pump say "Hardie" on it anywhere? If it does, then it is for sure an Arco branded Hercules engine. Likely built in the late 1920s.

S

speleausmining

Probably should have specified. When I have an engine thats been under cover that I do not think is badly stuck I take off everything that could be broken before trying to un-stick it. Ie disconnect the engine from the pump, remove the rocker arm and head etc. I would probably even remove the push rod.

Weezer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2014
Fortvlly,
Be careful playing with that sprayer! Used to help a friend with his crop duster operation, 25 years later there's still nothing growing where the mixing tank was.:eek: I'd bet that it still smells evil..........:faint:

fortvlly

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2011
This thing actually didn't smell bad at all. Other than typical barn smell. I am passing on the deal but have already hooked someone else up with the owner so I know it will be going to a good home. Too big of a project for a newbie like me.
Thanks for all the info from all of you. I learn more every day. Now it's time to go out picking again and see what else I can find. Maybe the next thing will be within my knowledge and I will get to keep it. Trying to find a Farmall A or a Cub for my wife to be.

Zach Nagel

Registered
No doubt that is a hercules made engine. Thats one of those 3 5/8 bore 2 or 2 1/2hp engines with a 4 bolt wet head. The fuel filler is in the front of the base instead of the side and it has no bottom in the crankcase. All the oil and grease runs out over the top of the fuel tank. I have an economy and an arco like that and both are different hp's and models although they are only 103 engines apart.