• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Unknown Marine Diesel

Anthony60

Registered
Hello, Im not sure if the pictures will upload...
I have this large 4 cylinder 2 cycle direct reversing marine Diesel engine that was my Grandfathers, he acquired after WWII, its still in the barn, He said it was for a tug boat application, build in the early 1930's. It is still on its original shipping base and has never been installed, he also told me that it was in the Chicago worlds fair of 1934 and was a prototype on display, also told me the make is a Taylor but there is no casting numbers or tags of any kind on it. This is the info he had told me about long before he passed away.
I have ran into a dead end to find any info on this beautiful work of 1930's technology.
Anyone have anything to help me out? Thanks.

Attachments

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Re: Unknown marine diesel

Anthony, you have a nice engine there. You will probably get more response if you posted your question in the Diesel Engine section of the board. You might try giving Old Tacoma Marine in Seattle Washington a call.
http://www.oldtacomamarine.com/

If no luck there, I would try contacting the Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic Connecticut. A member there might be able to help you.
https://www.mysticseaport.org/about/contact/

Keep us posted on what you find.

RustySteele

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

It makes me think of a Wolverine made up this way in Connecticut.

Anthony60

Registered

Peter, Thanks for the reply!
I have Posted an inquiry a few years ago with no reply and contacted Old Tacoma marine. The site is has had no activity for a while, but the moderator finally emailed me back a few months ago saying he doesn't know anything about this engine with no suggested leads. I will give Mystic seaport a try!

---------- Post added at 06:28:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20:59 PM ----------

Rusty,
I know the story may not sound too convincing but being that the engine was never installed and no identification markings that it could be a prototype, it my have some validity to it.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Anthony, any luck at all in identifying your engine? Someone out there has to have seen one like it.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
I researched the 1934 World's Fair this morning Anthony and there is a vast amount of information regarding exhibits that were shown there. I submitted an email request to the University of Chicago/ Special Collections Research Center on your behalf to see if they can find any reference to a "Taylor" engine that was shown there. It's worth a shot. They say it will take 4 to 6 weeks to hear back from them. When you make an inquiry it is handled when the staff has the free time to do it. Who knows, I hope they can find some information for you.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Update: Received an email from a gal in the research department at the University of Chicago. She told me she checked and could not find any record of a diesel engine prototype at the 1934 World's Fair. But she also said that I should check with the University of Illinois. She said their collection of data from the 34 World's Fair is much more extensive than theirs. When I get a chance, I will contact them for you Anthony.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Anthony, I just heard back from the University of Illinois and here is what they said:

Dear Peter,

Thank you for contacting us with your question about identifying an antique marine engine. We do have access to the official guidebooks from the 1934 ChicagoWorld Fair, but were unable to find any companies named “Taylor” that made engines. In the guidebook, there are several other companies that brought engines to World Fair and some of these manufactured engines that were first sold in the 1930s. Here are themake/model names that may be related to the engine your friend Anthony has:

General Motors

· Winton 201A (Winton Motor Carriage Company)

· EMD 567 (1938 Electro-Motor Division of GM)

Fairbanks-Morse

· F-M model 32 (1932 update to Model Y)

· F-M Model 38D-8-1/8

They also gave me a few links to websites that might be able to identify your engine. If you email me, I will forward all the info they gave me which gives you quite a few leads to follow.

Anthony60

Registered
Peter,
That is awesome and thank you for your help, I had no clue where to turn.

I will send you my email

Thanks again,
Anthony

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
I too wondered what the outcome was. Anthony said he was going to email me, but I never did receive an email from him. The mystery continues.