• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Unknown steam gauge

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
And EA Wood is (I think) Enos Wood of the Wood & Mann Steam Engines of Utica, NY. Closely aligned with brother Allen N's Wood, Tabor & Morse Steam Engines of Eaton (Madison County) NY. http://www.examiner.com/article/eaton-s-famous-wood-taber-morse-steam-engine-works

A company which later morphed into Skinner & Wood which later morphed into the Skinner Steam Engine Co.

At least I think this is the progression.

Joe K

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
And EA Wood is (I think) Enos Wood of the Wood & Mann Steam Engines of Utica, NY.
E.A. Wood is Edwin A. Wood.

He had many patents related to the steam gauge.

E.A. Wood later formed, and was the president of the Utica Steam Gauge Co. Allen G. Wood was the treasurer.

From the History of Utica, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory of Oneida County, N. Y. For 1869.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1862

The Wood & Mann Steam Engine Company is another large establishment for the manufacture of portable and stationary engines, boilers, circular saw mills, &c. The works cover an area of one and a half acres. The buildings are of brick, constructed in the most substantial manner. The capital invested is $200,000, and the number of hands employed from 150 to 200. Messrs. E. D. Wood and James F. Mann are now sole proprietors.

The Utica Steam Gauge Company employ fifteen or twenty hands, and manufacture an improved kind of steam gauge.

David

Attachments

Last edited:

David Babcock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/03/2019
Thanks for all the info. I couldnt find anything on it. I am putting this on e bay for sale. Db.

Ashton

Registered
I was able to come up with this info a month or so ago. His gauge was unusual in that had a diaphram set up instead of the typical Bourdon tube set up of most gauges.
Another early gauge was the Utica Steam Gauge, with their small capsule-type diaphragm. Here is some information.
Utica gauge   1.jpg

utica gauge   2.jpg

Utica gauge   3.jpg

Utica gauge   4 locomotive appliances 1902.jpg

utica gauge   6  1896  locomotive engineering.jpg

MalteseHunter

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I have an 1863 Wood and mann stationary steam engine and wanting to restore this machine. If any one has parts, diagrams,pictures,information of any kind I would appreciate it if you would contact me, Gary 816-517-4531 This gague looks like it could be from the same Machine.
Hello Gary,

Wood & Mann were most notable for their portable steam engines. Attached is the bio for James Mann and the only ad I had showing their stationary engine, dated 1870. Jake

Attachments

steamguy

Registered
Has anyone ever heard of the e.a. Wood co. Of utica, new york? It looks like a very early steam gauge with a rooster in it. I tried to find out something on the co. But came up with nothing. Any guesses? Thanks.
Has anyone ever heard of the e.a. Wood co. Of utica, new york? It looks like a very early steam gauge with a rooster in it. I tried to find out something on the co. But came up with nothing. Any guesses? Thanks.
Made them for Watertown Steam Engine Company too

Attachments